Bowl patterns...

  • James Winkler
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2002
      The patterns I used were out of the section "Wooden vessels" in the Museum of London's "The Medieval Household". [ISBN - 0 11 290490 4] by Geoff Egan.  There are 28 profiles there representing a fair range of time… but a single geographic location.  Best of all… dimensions are given so you can "scan em' in and blow em' up" to get full sized prints.  Then you can take the additional measurements to get various wall thicknesses and other relevant data.   The notes also give good dating information based on known ceramic dating and common context.

      I think I have a picture up on the Medievalsawdust site… but I'll check and if I don't… I'll correct that…  Winking smiley emoticon

      Yours -
      Chas.

      Oh… and if you can't find a copy of the book let me know and I'll see if I can scan some of this stuff and send it to you…

      Do you have some images of period bowl and plate profiles?  I would like to turn some plates.

      Don Bowen                          donb@...
      Valley Center, CA
    • Don Bowen
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2002
        At 11/7/2002, you wrote:
        The patterns I used were out of the section "Wooden vessels" in the Museum of London's "The Medieval Household". [ISBN - 0 11 290490 4] by Geoff Egan.  There are 28 profiles there representing a fair range of time… but a single geographic location.  Best of all… dimensions are given so you can "scan em' in and blow em' up" to get full sized prints.  Then you can take the additional measurements to get various wall thicknesses and other relevant data.   The notes also give good dating information based on known ceramic dating and common context.

        I think I have a picture up on the Medievalsawdust site… but I'll check and if I don't… I'll correct that…  Emoticon32.gif

        Oh… and if you can't find a copy of the book let me know and I'll see if I can scan some of this stuff and send it to you…

        Barns & Noble has the book but it is $100.  Being unemployed, my book budget is $0.

      • Don Bowen
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2002
          At 11/7/2002, you wrote:
          >Oh… and if you can't find a copy of the book let me know and I'll see if I
          >can scan some of this stuff and send it to you…

          The price is out of my range and the local library does not have a
          copy. Could I get you to scan the relevant pages and email them to me? I
          would like to build a Medieval table setting with wooden and pottery.

          Don Bowen donb@...
          Valley Center, CA
        • Avery
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 8, 2002
            >The price is out of my range and the local library does not have a
            >copy. Could I get you to scan the relevant pages and email them to me? I
            >would like to build a Medieval table setting with wooden and pottery.

            You might oughta maybe look into interlibrary loan. I've gotten REALLY
            obscure stuff that way. And if you wanna do the whole table setting you
            probably want to read this book!

            Avery