Re: [medievalsawdust] next discussion question

  • Ted Kocot
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
      > Let's put the Laurel to be on
      > the spot...
      >
      > Avery, what's the next discussion
      > question?

      You're making a piece. In period they would have used X, which is all
      well and good if you happen to have ready access to it, but in fact all
      you have access to is the common domestics and the occasional African or
      Australian exotic that the guys at the local hardwood shop sells. What
      species do you use?

      Avery
    • Anthony Craft
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
        If the piece is to be entered into competition, I'd seek out
        and use X. But if for "everyday" use around the camp, I'd
        go with the closest substitute (our group is pretty rough on
        furniture) but be ready to explain how X would have been
        used instead. Some of the times having used a more
        convenient substitute can be a great conversation starter
        and get some great discussion going.

        --
        THL Sgt. Iain Ruadh
        Pentamere Region, Midrealm

        "His troops would follow him anywhere ...
        but only out of curiosity!"

        www.pentamerefreecompany.com
      • James Winkler
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
          Good point!!!   … and getting' the conversation started is a good thing.

          My answer to this question though tends to run along the lines of my last answer… "depends"…    Like Iain, if it is for a purpose where the piece is going to be billed as an accurate reproduction then getting my hands on the appropriate woods is important to me.    Other times… the cost and inconvenience of trying to come up with a  wood that would have used and I can't easily get my grubby fingers on is just too hard…   or the cost is too high …  or whatever.

          But… there are things that can be learned from using period materials in a project.   I don't believe our forebears randomly selected boards and billets for projects "just because they were there".  Using the appropriate wood can give a lot of insight into the character of the material in terms of its workability, suitability and other "-ity's" that apply to our craft.   Great example…  turn a bowl out of oak…  now turn one out of alder or ash…  note the difference in construction, appearance and finish…   remember… you're turning green…  note how it dries and ages???   Now you've used it for a while…  how does it hold up???

          Much can be learned by doing projects from the "correct" woods…  of course make sure yer' species is as accurate as possible…  Italian poplar and American "tulip" poplar are two different beasties…  and the results ain't gonna' be the same…

          Chas.

          ===========

          Sgt. Iain wrote:
            Some of the times having used a more
          convenient substitute can be a great conversation starter
          and get some great discussion going.
        • Joseph Hayes
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
            > You're making a piece. In period they would have used X, which is
            > all well and good if you happen to have ready access to it, but in
            > fact all you have access to is the common domestics and the
            > occasional African or Australian exotic that the guys at the local
            > hardwood shop sells. What species do you use?

            I'd go with common domestics of the same genus in an attempt to get
            equivalant properties. Although Querqus robur is available in the US,
            it's expensive ($10 per board foot). Querqus rubra is probably easiest
            to obtain (you can but it a Lowe's), but I think Querqus alba is a
            better substitute.

            Ulrich

            http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
              > You're making a piece. In period they would have
              > used X, which is all
              > well and good if you happen to have ready access to
              > it, but in fact all
              > you have access to is the common domestics and the
              > occasional African or
              > Australian exotic that the guys at the local
              > hardwood shop sells. What
              > species do you use?
              >
              > Avery

              I'd do a little research and find out if I
              can get the 'right' wood at a price I can afford
              from some supplyer off the beaten path, if the
              item being made is important enough to 'deserve'
              one specific type of wood ( maybe a english yew
              longbow... that kinda narrows down the choices
              a bit.... )

              If I can't get it or can't afford it or
              justify the expense ( based on what it is ),
              then I'd research the properties of the 'right' wood
              and try to find something that matches as many
              characteristics as I can. Usually there is
              some other choice that has enough similar
              properites to make a suitable replacement.

              Example.
              European Oak vs. White Oak vs. Red Oak

              All have similar visual characteristics, but
              White oak has a finer grain while red oak can
              chip and splinter....But white oak is less
              common and therefore more expensive.

              =====

              http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
                > Remember, you're turning green. note how
                > it dries and ages???

                Ok how about this variation...

                You can get the 'right' wood, but
                only dry and the project wants green
                wood....
                Whatcha do then?

                =====

                http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
              • Dan Baker
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
                  I was doing research for my last A&S project and found a viking ship burial
                  with artifacts all made out of oak. On another ship burial, with almost
                  identical items, they were all made out of beech. Now, there has to be a
                  reason for that. My assumption was that the first artisan had access to a
                  ready supply of oak, while the other had access to a ready supply of beech.
                  Certainly in modern times we use specific woods for specific projects. But
                  did they in period? My guess is not nearly as much. If I were a perion
                  craftsman making a use item rather then a show item, my first concern for
                  the material is that is met the weight or strength that I needed for that
                  project.

                  --
                  YIS,

                  Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer