Cedar drying and uses

  • Dragano Abbruciati de Genoese
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
      In spite of the recent post about woodworkers not felling their own
      trees. I have a question on exactly that. I was helping a friend
      clear some of the trees around his fenceline over the weekend.
      Included in our deforestation were three 12" diameter cedar trees.
      The bulk of these three specimens came home with me and I would like
      to take these logs and turn them into something for my SCA kit.

      Question 1: How do I dry the wood? If I remember correctly, logs
      are split into boards and then dried, but I'm not really sure from
      whence that memory comes.

      Question 2: Cedar, as you know, is aromatic and beautiful. What
      would be you suggestions as to uses for this wood? Presently, I have
      the skills of a rough carpenter (DAMN rough!), so try to keep that in
      mind.

      Dragano
    • Ron Jachim
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
        To air dry, coat the cut ends in wax so the log dries slowly (at least
        this is what is for done for bow wood -- beyond that, I can't help
        with drying)

        Cedar makes wonderful arrows if it is straight-grained -- it is my
        preferred arrowmaking material. It has a natural water resistance
        (hence cedar shingles) so applications where is might get wet would
        put it to good functional use. Any camp furniture would be good
        candidates.

        Ron

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dragano Abbruciati de

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
          Split the logs in half, then split them in half again.

          Rive or saw the quarters into slabs no smaller than four inches thick.

          Stack them off of the ground with a spacer, or sticker at least an inch
          thick and no farther apart than every thee feet or less.

          Leave them to dry at least one year. Ideally, you will air dry them
          indoors in a climate controlled environment.

          The reality we live in is that no one's SWMBO will permit a quarter ton
          of raw lumber to air dry in her living room.

          So you will probably have to dry them out doors. They should be off the
          ground, and protected from the rain. A shed roof or even a tarp will
          probably be OK. Just make sure that the tarp is also "stickered" so
          that it is not lying right on top of the lumber.

          You may be able to find a lumber kiln in your area that will heat-dry
          them for you, but I don't know much about that process.

          Will

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
            Forgot that part. Coat the ends with wax to seal them. Otherwise then
            ends dry faster than the center and you develop checking (splits).

            You can also find commercial compound to seal the ends of green wood. I
            think turners use it.

            Will

            To air dry, coat the cut ends in wax so the log dries slowly (at least
            this is what is for done for bow wood -- beyond that, I can't help
            with drying)

            Cedar makes wonderful arrows if it is straight-grained -- it is my
            preferred arrowmaking material. It has a natural water resistance
            (hence cedar shingles) so applications where is might get wet would
            put it to good functional use. Any camp furniture would be good
            candidates.

            Ron

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dragano Abbruciati de
            Genoese" <dragano_abbruciati@y...> wrote:
            > In spite of the recent post about woodworkers not felling their own
            > trees. I have a question on exactly that. I was helping a friend
            > clear some of the trees around his fenceline over the weekend.
            > Included in our deforestation were three 12" diameter cedar trees.
            > The bulk of these three specimens came home with me and I would like
            > to take these logs and turn them into something for my SCA kit.
            >
            > Question 1: How do I dry the wood? If I remember correctly, logs
            > are split into boards and then dried, but I'm not really sure from
            > whence that memory comes.
            >
            > Question 2: Cedar, as you know, is aromatic and beautiful. What
            > would be you suggestions as to uses for this wood? Presently, I have
            > the skills of a rough carpenter (DAMN rough!), so try to keep that in
            > mind.
            >
            > Dragano

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Gary Halstead
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
              Dragano Abbruciati de Genoese wrote:
              <snip>
              > Question 2: Cedar, as you know, is aromatic and beautiful. What
              > would be you suggestions as to uses for this wood? Presently, I have
              > the skills of a rough carpenter (DAMN rough!), so try to keep that in
              > mind.
              >
              > Dragano

              If you can get decent boards out of those logs, then cedar chests would
              be appropriate. The Italians had a nice trade importing cedar from
              elsewhere in the Med and shipping finished chests to northern Europe.

              Ranulf
            • Gordon Fridenberg
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
                I haven't done this myself but have read up on it a bit. You will want
                to coat the ends of the logs asap to slow the drying down. Most of the
                moisture is lost through the ends of the log and if they dry to fast they
                will split. There are several web pages on the subject, but I'm at work
                right now and don't have time to look them up.
                I have also been told that the sawdust form Ceder will do nasty things to
                you if you breathe it.

                Robert

                >From: "Dragano Abbruciati de Genoese" <dragano_abbruciati@...>
                >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Cedar drying and uses
                >Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:01:19 -0000
                >
                >In spite of the recent post about woodworkers not felling their own
                >trees. I have a question on exactly that. I was helping a friend
                >clear some of the trees around his fenceline over the weekend.
                >Included in our deforestation were three 12" diameter cedar trees.
                >The bulk of these three specimens came home with me and I would like
                >to take these logs and turn them into something for my SCA kit.
                >
                >Question 1: How do I dry the wood? If I remember correctly, logs
                >are split into boards and then dried, but I'm not really sure from
                >whence that memory comes.
                >
                >Question 2: Cedar, as you know, is aromatic and beautiful. What
                >would be you suggestions as to uses for this wood? Presently, I have
                >the skills of a rough carpenter (DAMN rough!), so try to keep that in
                >mind.
                >
                >Dragano
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                Find things fast with the new MSN Toolbar � includes FREE pop-up blocking!
              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
                  Let me help here. In some period logs were sawn not split You will get the
                  most out of the log by taking them to a local band saw mill(see county
                  forester for local sawmills) 12" is a big cedar I am not sure of the
                  specific items that cedar was used for "in period". Use them for what may.
                  To dry them get it sawn or split asap and sticker it(one inch square dry
                  stickers every two feet in a not more that a three feet wide stack) One year
                  drying time per inch of cut thickness. Ceder will dry faster..

                  James Cunningham
                  Sometime modern sawyer

                  > Included in our deforestation were three 12" diameter cedar trees.
                  > The bulk of these three specimens came home with me and I would like
                  > to take these logs and turn them into something for my SCA kit.
                  >
                  > Question 1: How do I dry the wood? If I remember correctly, logs
                  > are split into boards and then dried, but I'm not really sure from
                  > whence that memory comes.
                  >
                  > Question 2: Cedar, as you know, is aromatic and beautiful. What
                  > would be you suggestions as to uses for this wood? Presently, I have
                  > the skills of a rough carpenter (DAMN rough!), so try to keep that in
                  > mind.
                  >
                  > Dragano
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
                    Pictures? I cannot seem to get into the yahoogroups picture area.

                    James Cunningham
                    > If you can get decent boards out of those logs, then cedar chests would
                    > be appropriate. The Italians had a nice trade importing cedar from
                    > elsewhere in the Med and shipping finished chests to northern Europe.
                    >
                    > Ranulf
                  • Tim Bray
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
                      >Forgot that part. Coat the ends with wax to seal them.

                      Save yourself some money and do what the pros do: Paint the ends with a
                      latex primer. Lots cheaper and easier to use than wax, and does the same job.

                      Cheers,
                      Colin

                      Albion Works
                      Furniture and Accessories