Re: [medievalsawdust] Human size

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 73 , Mar 1, 2004
      Chas, these are fascinating findings, and I am gratified to find that they completely support my assertions!

      O.k... did some more research... best I can find is that the 'average' difference was about 2.5" to 3" between medieval individuals and modern folk...

      Wait, I don't see that in the data you forwarded.  In fact I see data indicating that average medieval Brits were within an inch of average modern Brits.  People got _smaller_ in the 17th through 19th centuries, then suddenly larger again in the 20th.

       so while there was "a gradual and continual increase in size over time".

      No!  Read your data again!

      "... the Normal average for most Roman to medieval groups was round 5'7" for males and 5'3" for females."

      "Excavations of cemeteries dating back to medieval England have provided a range of heights for both men and women and a mean average for both. Across the sites, the mean average height for males was 171.26 cm. [66.79 inches or 5’ 6 ¾"]. For females, it was 157.55 cm. [61.44 inches or 5’ 1 ½"]."

      ... and

      "A study published in Britain in 1988, using data compiled from 1981, determined that the average height in the modern British population was 173.8 cm. [67.78 inches or 5’ 7 ¾"] for males and 160.9 cm. [62.75 inches or 5’ 2 ¾"] for females.

      Add to that Tom's MoL data showing that Saxons were taler than Tudors (contrary to what I thought), and Vickies were shorter than everybody... so much for the gradual increase!

      Cheers,
      Colin

    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 73 of 73 , Feb 13, 2006
        Vikings had a special wooden tool to use instead for a pump.....a bailing bucket.  As well as another that was more like a shovel.

        James Cunningham
        Also its worth mentioning that later period ships had pumps installed because they leaked allot