next discussion question

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
      Let's put the Laurel to be on
      the spot...

      Avery, what's the next discussion
      question?

      =====

      http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
    • Ted Kocot
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
        > Let's put the Laurel to be on
        > the spot...
        >
        > Avery, what's the next discussion
        > question?

        You're making a piece. In period they would have used X, which is all
        well and good if you happen to have ready access to it, but in fact all
        you have access to is the common domestics and the occasional African or
        Australian exotic that the guys at the local hardwood shop sells. What
        species do you use?

        Avery
      • Anthony Craft
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
          If the piece is to be entered into competition, I'd seek out
          and use X. But if for "everyday" use around the camp, I'd
          go with the closest substitute (our group is pretty rough on
          furniture) but be ready to explain how X would have been
          used instead. Some of the times having used a more
          convenient substitute can be a great conversation starter
          and get some great discussion going.

          --
          THL Sgt. Iain Ruadh
          Pentamere Region, Midrealm

          "His troops would follow him anywhere ...
          but only out of curiosity!"

          www.pentamerefreecompany.com
        • James Winkler
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
            Good point!!!   … and getting' the conversation started is a good thing.

            My answer to this question though tends to run along the lines of my last answer… "depends"…    Like Iain, if it is for a purpose where the piece is going to be billed as an accurate reproduction then getting my hands on the appropriate woods is important to me.    Other times… the cost and inconvenience of trying to come up with a  wood that would have used and I can't easily get my grubby fingers on is just too hard…   or the cost is too high …  or whatever.

            But… there are things that can be learned from using period materials in a project.   I don't believe our forebears randomly selected boards and billets for projects "just because they were there".  Using the appropriate wood can give a lot of insight into the character of the material in terms of its workability, suitability and other "-ity's" that apply to our craft.   Great example…  turn a bowl out of oak…  now turn one out of alder or ash…  note the difference in construction, appearance and finish…   remember… you're turning green…  note how it dries and ages???   Now you've used it for a while…  how does it hold up???

            Much can be learned by doing projects from the "correct" woods…  of course make sure yer' species is as accurate as possible…  Italian poplar and American "tulip" poplar are two different beasties…  and the results ain't gonna' be the same…

            Chas.

            ===========

            Sgt. Iain wrote:
              Some of the times having used a more
            convenient substitute can be a great conversation starter
            and get some great discussion going.
          • Joseph Hayes
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
              > You're making a piece. In period they would have used X, which is
              > all well and good if you happen to have ready access to it, but in
              > fact all you have access to is the common domestics and the
              > occasional African or Australian exotic that the guys at the local
              > hardwood shop sells. What species do you use?

              I'd go with common domestics of the same genus in an attempt to get
              equivalant properties. Although Querqus robur is available in the US,
              it's expensive ($10 per board foot). Querqus rubra is probably easiest
              to obtain (you can but it a Lowe's), but I think Querqus alba is a
              better substitute.

              Ulrich

              http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
                > You're making a piece. In period they would have
                > used X, which is all
                > well and good if you happen to have ready access to
                > it, but in fact all
                > you have access to is the common domestics and the
                > occasional African or
                > Australian exotic that the guys at the local
                > hardwood shop sells. What
                > species do you use?
                >
                > Avery

                I'd do a little research and find out if I
                can get the 'right' wood at a price I can afford
                from some supplyer off the beaten path, if the
                item being made is important enough to 'deserve'
                one specific type of wood ( maybe a english yew
                longbow... that kinda narrows down the choices
                a bit.... )

                If I can't get it or can't afford it or
                justify the expense ( based on what it is ),
                then I'd research the properties of the 'right' wood
                and try to find something that matches as many
                characteristics as I can. Usually there is
                some other choice that has enough similar
                properites to make a suitable replacement.

                Example.
                European Oak vs. White Oak vs. Red Oak

                All have similar visual characteristics, but
                White oak has a finer grain while red oak can
                chip and splinter....But white oak is less
                common and therefore more expensive.

                =====

                http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
                  > Remember, you're turning green. note how
                  > it dries and ages???

                  Ok how about this variation...

                  You can get the 'right' wood, but
                  only dry and the project wants green
                  wood....
                  Whatcha do then?

                  =====

                  http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
                • Dan Baker
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
                    I was doing research for my last A&S project and found a viking ship burial
                    with artifacts all made out of oak. On another ship burial, with almost
                    identical items, they were all made out of beech. Now, there has to be a
                    reason for that. My assumption was that the first artisan had access to a
                    ready supply of oak, while the other had access to a ready supply of beech.
                    Certainly in modern times we use specific woods for specific projects. But
                    did they in period? My guess is not nearly as much. If I were a perion
                    craftsman making a use item rather then a show item, my first concern for
                    the material is that is met the weight or strength that I needed for that
                    project.

                    --
                    YIS,

                    Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer