Re: [medievalsawdust] Digest Number 69

  • Robert Waldbauer
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2002
      Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:

      > I've got a question that might start a discussion....
      >
      > When making something that you want appear period, but not for an A&S
      > competition, do you make it look new or do you artifically age it so that
      > it looks old?
      >
      > thoughts?<

      Tricky question... Define "looking period", please.

      If I am doing a reproduction of a period piece, I will sometimes -- not always
      -- "age" the piece with the addition of bumps, scuffs, light sanding on the
      edges, mottled stain, etc...

      Depends on the way the piece will be used, for the most part.

      =====
      Robert Waldbauer
      (aka Lord Robert ap Hywel ap Dewi of Flint Market)
      Marche of Three Towers
      (proposed) Barony of Brendoken
      Oaken Region
      Middle Kingdom
      Society for Creative Anachronism

      http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
    • Dan Baker
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2002
        IMHO,

        Generally, I make everything look new. I figure, if in truth I was a
        craftsman living in a period, the stuff I make would be new. While I would
        love to be able to afford an actual period artifact or two...... If we are
        recreating, should not we make something the way it would have looked then,
        not the way it looks now?

        --
        YIS,

        Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer