Re: [medievalsawdust] start a discussion?

  • jrwinkler@msn.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6 7:28 PM
      Now for a good SCA "Laurel answer" ™…    DEPENDS!   If I'm building for myself, I'll try to artificially age a piece.   Dark stains sanded out, worn edges (they get more worn with use) and other visual details that will make it fit in the tableau that m'Lady and I are trying to create.   For me, making period looking stuff includes LOOKING period…  or at least approximating that look.  (But then yer' treading on the "art" ground…  trying to make something look old without looking schlocky can be a trick…  best results… stain it dark then use it roughly for a couple of years… it'll look old then… Winking smiley emoticon.  But… not ALL my stuff looks old.  I recently turned some bowls…  didn't bother to artifically age them.  I figure that with relatively minimal use they'll start developing their own "used" look…

      On the other hand… if I'm building for somebody else, I generally find that they prefer having stuff that looks "new-ish"…   no stains (but a good coat of matte poly generally makes them happy), wood grain showing everywhere, etc.

      So I guess my answer is… depends on who the customer is and what they want.

      Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 4:07 PM
      Subject: [medievalsawdust] start a discussion?

      I've got a question that might
      start a discussion....

      When making something that you want
      appear period, but not for an A&S
      competition, do you make it look new
      or do you artifically age it so that
      it looks old?

              thoughts?
    • Don Bowen
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6 7:53 PM
        At 11/6/2002, you wrote:
        Now for a good SCA "Laurel answer" ™…    DEPENDS!   If I'm building for myself, I'll try to artificially age a piece.   Dark stains sanded out, worn edges (they get more worn with use) and other visual details that will make it fit in the tableau that m'Lady and I are trying to create.   For me, making period looking stuff includes LOOKING period…  or at least approximating that look.  (But then yer' treading on the "art" ground…  trying to make something look old without looking schlocky can be a trick…  best results… stain it dark then use it roughly for a couple of years… it'll look old then… Emoticon3.gif.  But… not ALL my stuff looks old.  I recently turned some bowls…  didn't bother to artifically age them.  I figure that with relatively minimal use they'll start developing their own "used" look…

        Do you have some images of period bowl and plate profiles?  I would like to turn some plates.

      • vinlandar
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 7 4:03 AM
          Baron, 'DEPENDS' was a good answer, I think. I have to remind myself
          that the 'Middle Ages' were in excess of 600 years in length. That
          being so, a 'period' piece could either be brand new to the user or
          something that has been in the family for generations, and still
          be 'period'. That being the case, it would seem reasonable that a
          piece could look just made, or around a while, or truly an ancient
          piece and still be quite within reasonable expectations for
          appearance. I guess it would also seem reasonable to consider that a
          piece which is well made and something likely to last for generations
          could either be very old or brand new, but a 'throwaway' piece which
          likely would not have lasted very long would more likely look new,
          because when it wore out, the user would just make a new one.

          Maybe?

          -charlie

          --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@y...>
          wrote:
          > I've got a question that might
          > start a discussion....
          >
          > When making something that you want
          > appear period, but not for an A&S
          > competition, do you make it look new
          > or do you artifically age it so that
          > it looks old?
          >
          > thoughts?
          >

          > =====
          > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          > Aude Aliquid Dignum
          > ' Dare Something Worthy '

          > HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
          > http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
        • Jim Hart
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7 4:22 AM
            nice range of answers.....

            Just so you know this was just a
            general question I'm not looking
            for an answer specific to one time
            period or type of item.

            but it looks like the general answer
            is

            '.....It depends.....'

            Conal
          • Ted Kocot
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 7 6:35 AM
              > If something is to look period it would have been recently made. Perhaps
              > with a little wear but definitely not "antiqued".

              Recently is a word that can mean a lot of things. There are pieces of
              furniture in England that are still in use after 500 years. Relative to
              that no piece of Arts and Crafts furniture is old, but I'd say it all
              looks old.

              The question is, what year do you think it it? What year was the piece made?

              Avery