wood in search of a project

  • Dan Baker
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2002
      I just sent some time planing off some nice light pine boards I salvaged. I
      ended up with about 40 clean pieces, 1/2in thick about 6in wide and all are
      4 feet long. Most will lose something off the edges as they are kinda beat
      up. It was really rough scrape, about like pallet wood. No I need a
      project for it. I was thinking a chest or two. I have a nice styrofoam
      cooler to encase.

      I also salvaged a bunch of 1x12 tounge and groove knotty pine. Havent
      cleaned it up yet altough I used enough to put a ceiling in my basement. I
      still have 100-150 feet to play with. Some of with is 2 foot length, but
      about 10 or 12 pieces of 8 foot length. And about have of that in 1x8
      tounge and groove knotty pine. The tounge and groove is 80+ years old so
      extremely dry

      Next I salvaged some oak was originaly 1x6 rough sawn only, cleans up fairly
      well, well aged with some really cool worm holes in it. (Yes, it has been
      de-infested). Some dryrot, but minimal. I have about 6 8 foot pieces, and I
      might be able to get 6 or 10 more. I am thinking of saving this for
      something special.

      Any Ideas?

      --
      YIS,

      Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
      Privateer to the Midrealm

      Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
      ...Take time to dance in the rain...

    • vinlandar
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 31, 2002
        Lord Rhys,

        I wish I had time to be more specific and narrow down the choices,
        but here is the photo album of Regia Angolorium in the UK. I was
        looking through here quickly last night looking for a Geteld,and saw
        photos of a wonderful REAL crusader's chest being used as a vestment
        container in some church over there. I though of it the moment Iread
        your post. When I saw it last night, I thought 'oh, I'd love to make
        me one of those.'

        http://community.webshots.com/user/kimsiddorn

        -Charlie

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 31, 2002
          Hey, I tell you, I'm just sharp as a marble here. To find the
          Crusader chest photos, look in the file marked, "Crusader Chest at
          Botham". (duh,)

          The other pics are worth a look too. Regia is one awfully good group.

          -Charlie

        • Dan Baker
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 31, 2002
            Now theres some cool ideas, I'll have to look through..

            Thanks

            --
            YIS,

            Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
            Privateer to the Midrealm

            Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
            ...Take time to dance in the rain...

            >From: "vinlandar" <vinlandar@...>
            >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: wood in search of a project
            >Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:34:14 -0000
            >
            >Lord Rhys,
            >
            >I wish I had time to be more specific and narrow down the choices,
            >but here is the photo album of Regia Angolorium in the UK. I was
            >looking through here quickly last night looking for a Geteld,and saw
            >photos of a wonderful REAL crusader's chest being used as a vestment
            >container in some church over there. I though of it the moment Iread
            >your post. When I saw it last night, I thought 'oh, I'd love to make
            >me one of those.'
            >
            >http://community.webshots.com/user/kimsiddorn
            >
            >-Charlie
            >

            >--- In medievalsawdust@y..., "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@h...> wrote:
            > > I just sent some time planing off some nice light pine boards I
            >salvaged. I
            > > ended up with about 40 clean pieces, 1/2in thick about 6in wide and
            >all are
            > > 4 feet long. Most will lose something off the edges as they are
            >kinda beat
            > > up. It was really rough scrape, about like pallet wood. No I need
            > > project for it. I was thinking a chest or two. I have a nice
            >styrofoam
            > > cooler to encase.
            > >
            > > I also salvaged a bunch of 1x12 tounge and groove knotty pine.
            >Havent
            > > cleaned it up yet altough I used enough to put a ceiling in my
            >basement. I
            > > still have 100-150 feet to play with. Some of with is 2 foot
            >length, but
            > > about 10 or 12 pieces of 8 foot length. And about have of that in
            >1x8
            > > tounge and groove knotty pine. The tounge and groove is 80+ years
            >old so
            > > extremely dry
            > >
            > > Next I salvaged some oak was originaly 1x6 rough sawn only, cleans
            >up fairly
            > > well, well aged with some really cool worm holes in it. (Yes, it
            >has been
            > > de-infested). Some dryrot, but minimal. I have about 6 8 foot
            >pieces, and I
            > > might be able to get 6 or 10 more. I am thinking of saving this
            >for
            > > something special.
            > >

            > > Any Ideas?
            > >
            > > --
            > > YIS,
            > >
            > > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
            > > Privateer to the Midrealm
            > >
            > > Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
            > > ...Take time to dance in the rain...

            > > Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online

            Unlimited Internet access -- and 2 months free!� Try MSN.
          • James Winkler
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 31, 2002

              Some additional information on the Bosham chest (and others) can be found in "Church Chests of the Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries in England" by Philip Mainwaring Johnson.   The book (paperback) is a reprint of Johnson's article in Archeological Journal, Vol 64, No. 4, 1907.  This is a great book...  ;-)  Lots of little spiffy details and background.  It IS a kind of overview... more detailed in some places than others... and some chests are just cataloged with very little info on them...  but with regard to the Bosham chest it does say that:

              The chest is 5 feet 6 inches long by 1 foot 9.5 inches wide and 2 feet 2.5 inches high.   There is also the story of how the chest got dated (found coin in the box within the box) and some text on the lock mechanism... but no graphic details.

              The book is published by Caber Press (www.teleport.com/~tcl) and runs $12.95.

              Chas.

            • Dan Baker
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 31, 2002
                Yep, an excellent book and a part of my library.

                How's is going Charles?