A period close stool to match our existing camp furniture.

  • Julian Wilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 22, 2014
      Gentles All,
          I've just finished making a flat-packing, gothic-themed "close stool" which fits-in nicely with our existing camp furniture - a variation of the "take-down chest" design - 18"x18"x 16.75"high to the seat when the lid is open. The timber has come from workshop offcuts "not required on-site" and returned to my Shop - I resized them for this project; the 2" steel-butt-hinges were the cheapest I could find, as were the lifting handles; the handle's load-spreading baseplates are cut and filed to shape from scrap 1mm mild steel sheet offcuts; - and the paints I already had in stock from my other hobby-Craft of doing Heraldic Art.
          I have a couple of minor adjustments to make today "on-the-bench", as well as sourcing the materials for the removable retaining chains for the lid, - then I'll take one or two pictures and post them in the Group's photo files. for the inspiration [hopefully] of anyone else who has been considering such an addition to the furniture of their own period encampment, - and has become dis-satisfied with the "facilities" they've improvised already.
       Matthewe Baker
    • lhjw66576
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28, 2014
        I have just posted a set of pictures taken during the project, more or less covering each stage in the process. The end result matches other "gothic-themed" furniture I've made for our SCA camping.
        As with all the equipment I've made for our encampment, I chose to produce a "quick-to-make" and "not-too-demanding-of- woodworking-skills" Design, - to inspire the amateur"Handy-persons" who may see either the pictures or the real thing in our tent.
        In Service to the medieval Dream,
         Matthewe Baker

      • iambroom
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29, 2014
          What's missing is a photo or explanation of how you contain the waste. Please describe that part (which for obvious reasons is removable and not wooden.

          ' |   Broom        IAmBroom @ gmail . com
          ' |   cellphone:             412-389-1997
          '\|/  923 Haslage Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
          '/|\  "Discere et docere", which means:
          //|\\ "Spoiler Alert! ... Snapes killed Trinity with Rosebud." - Fark
        • Julian Wilson