Classes at Pennsic, yes I wish to talk about this again ;)

  • kai_saerpren
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2014
      Hi all; it is my intention to teach a run of related woodworking classes at Pennsic this year, Basically an "intro to woodworking" series. my classes (outlines and notes) are shaping up nicely. What I would like to hear from all yall now is;
      is anyone else teaching any classes related to woodworking? (at Pennsic, this year)
      what days?
      do you want to cross reference to my classes?
      Avery, Are you teaching sharpening class again? if you are, I intend to skip that subject and send people to your class.
      Are you hosting open woodworking chat time in the A&S area again this year? when/which days?
      I would like to make it clear here and in my classes that what I am teaching is not exactly Medieval woodworking, but current best practices for hand tool woodworking. My reasons for this is that I am a modern mundane master craftsman, and I have noticed that there is a dearth of good instructions for beginners in the SCA. top that with, I have seen some really poor and or dangerous woodworking practices being promoted or demonstrated, I strongly feel we need some good safe solid instruction being disseminated in our group. And the way to do that, is to start teaching.
      serve vous
    • Peter Ellis
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2014
        All sounds good to me.

        Sent from my iPad
      • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2014
          kaisaerpren wrote:
          > is anyone else teaching any classes related to woodworking? (at
          > Pennsic, this year)

          I don't have any solid plans to, but I might. I guess I should figure
          that out. I just scheduled a woodworking class for War Practice in May,
          "Japanese Hand Tools and Their Use".

          I also hope to be showing off last year's big woodworking project (a
          sukiya style garden gate) at this years big A&S display at Pennsic.

          > Are you hosting open woodworking chat time in the A&S area again
          > this year? when/which days?

          I'm not sure if the Artisan's Row coordinator is scheduling yet. I have
          been involved with Narrow Wares in past years and have not received any
          entreaties, yet. I'm interested in adding my efforts to a Woodworking
          day this year.

          > I have seen some really poor and or dangerous woodworking practices
          > being promoted or demonstrated, I strongly feel we need some good
          > safe solid instruction being disseminated in our group.

          Amen.

          Unfortunately, I specialize in Japanese woodworking and traditionally
          we have some of the worst safety practices. I've seen demonstrations
          of adze technique that made me go white with fear and that I have
          still not convinced myself to emulate.

          --
          THL Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
          (mka: Elliott C. Evans)
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2014
            Right now my Pennsic plans are very up in the air for this year, so I may not be scheduling anything.  :(

            Avery
          • kai_saerpren
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2014
              Ishiyama Gen'tarou
              As I know very little about japanese tools I try to avoid giving any interpretation of them based upon my Eurocentric woodworking knowledge. I doubt that our class content will conflict.
              thank you for your response. it is good to know that you will be there to refer to if anyone asks me anything about japanese tools.
              serve vous'
            • kai_saerpren
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2014
                I am arranging to teach my classes in our camp so that i don't have to haul tool boxes and workbenches to A&S and Back.
                Perhaps the meet and greet could happen in our camp? if you manage to attend Pennsic you could preside. I very much do not want to take anything away from anyone. I wish to add to what is already being done.