workbenches

  • kai_saerpren
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 27, 2014
      Hi; I know most of us woodworkers focus on European woodworking examples. our benches tend to take after English, French or German stiles. but take a gander at these web pages I found recently.

      http://skottbenk.wordpress.com/
      http://hyvelbenk.wordpress.com/page/4/
    • kai_saerpren
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 27, 2014

        I also like that the the hold fast is called a killingfot

      • ahappyjtm
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 27, 2014
          I liked the books you can find when you click on the image under the workbenches in the Danish tradition. From lost arts blog.

          http://blog.lostartpress.com/2013/07/23/workbenches-in-the-danish-tradition/

          Wouldn't mind having the first volume.

          Domeer af Valdemar

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, <kaisaerpren@...> wrote:

          > Hi; I know most of us woodworkers focus on European woodworking examples. our benches tend to take after English, French or German stiles. but take a gander at these web pages I found recently.
          > http://skottbenk.wordpress.com/
          >
          > http://hyvelbenk.wordpress.com/page/4/

        • hammered_shamrock
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 28, 2014

            Sounds nifty, but it means "Kittens foot".

          • John LaTorre
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 28, 2014
              On 1/28/14 4:44 AM, kaisaerpren@... wrote:

              > I also like that the the hold fast is called a killingfot

              I'm no expert in Scandinavian languages, but I suspect that "killing"
              comes from the same root word as our English word "cling." Since "cling"
              is a synonym of "hold," it makes sense. I leave it to others to
              determine whether "fot" comes from "foot" (which seems possible) or
              somewhere else.

              These are very cool benches. I only wish they had some dates ascribed to
              them. From their general form, the vises seem to be 17th to 19th century.

              On another note, I have received word that there will be a woodcarving
              demonstration at Estrella War, The details are:

              > *Medieval Wood Carving*
              >
              > Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 9:00am to 12:00pm
              >
              > Town Square- Special Events Pavilion
              >

              > Count Sir Ivan Petrovich,OL, know in the Sun to have great reputation for
              > his expertise in period woodworking, will be demonstrating medieval wood
              > carving techniques. This is a great opportunity to see a master craftsman
              > apply his trade. His Excellency will answer any and all of your questions
              > and you will receive personal hands on instruction if you so desire.

              Johann von Drachenfels
            • D. Young
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 28, 2014
                On my facebook group I have a large number of images of period wood benches....part of a big project to build a late medieval version.

                the group is  Ancient, Medieval, Renaissance, and Colonial Furniture and Woodenware.

                We have about 1550 members, so swing on by if you get a chance.

                The main thing I would say is that we have to be mindful that many benches today are based on 18th century styles which arent really medieval.    Also...I will try to find the link to a fella who made some fantastic middle ages benches.

                Drew

                     Custom Commissions Welcome....!

                www.partsandtechnical.com

                To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com