RE: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Manesse Codex style chairs?

  • henrikofhavn
    Message 1 of 40 , Oct 7, 2013

      I made a replica of the Oseberg Chair which is a bit earlier in period and Norwegian. Mine has mortice and tennon joints which go through the uprights and are pegged in place so it can be disassembled for packing away flat. The seat is a pinned together frame with cord cross weaving that drops in place so internal access is easy when assembled. A narrow ledge near the inside bottom allows an optional wooden panel to be dropped in to serve as a bottom shelf if needed for storage purposes ( like a small food cooler or posessions, clothing, etc.) above the surface - like the ground - that it may be sitting on when in use. The cross woven seat frame is covered with a cushion or folded cloak, blanket or other object. The original chair seemed to not be disassembled after the seat cording was installed and had hidden, mortice and tennon joints which were permanently pegged together.

      This design could be adapted to the later chair design shown in the codex, by simply making the chair wider and raising the sides as needed. My chair has square corner posts instead of turned ones, but either shape would do the same job about as well. Round is just a bit trickier to get the mortices lined up right.

      Henrik

      ---In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Ask and Ye shall find.

       I think what is illustrated is first cousin to one of the chairs in the first two blog posts at:
      http://thomasguild.blogspot.com.au/search/label/chair

      See also:
      http://www.bloodandsawdust.com/sca/turnedchair.html
      and
      http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Misc10/Misc10.pdf pages 246 - 249
      - look at the 3 legged stool for some ideas that can be adapted.

      If you want to go down the knock-down path, you could make one as 4 panels and a drop in seat, with two solidly fixed panels - your choice of front & back or both sides. Two of the two panels would have long tennons which are held in mortises by tusk tennons - this is something that is NOT seen in any of the surviving turned throne/chairs that I am aware of, but would fit the 'Creative' of SCA.

      If you don't have access to a lathe (or a wood turner) you could make the leg colums from hardwood dowels using the largest diameter you can source for the leg colums and a size or two smaller for the horizontalrails. Glue on suitable drawer or curtain rail knobs for the finials and use good quality ply for infill panels after drilling and sawing out pleasing tracery. You would probably also find it handy to make a simple clamping jig to hold the various sized dowels in a set orientation for drilling the many cross holes and it would be fairly easy to make it so you could also use it with a router to make the grooves for the ply panels if you descide to use them.

      regards
      Brusi of Orkney

      On 07-Oct-13 4:16 PM, Scot Eddy wrote:
      I'm interested in building a chair I found in the Manesse Codex (see URLs below)

      http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/cpg848/0761?sid=3f4ace39af429767d2a6e19c23d2ba8f
      the yellow one on the right

      the yellow and red one on the left

      I've looked around and I can't find anything extant that might be it. Part of me wants to make it a box/storage chair. Another part of me wants to make it collapsible.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks.

      Juan Carlos
      Ansteorra

    • Richard Keith
      Message 40 of 40 , Oct 28, 2013
        copper tubes good idea. I  have a source for all kinds of tubing. I was thinking of my plumbing tools for rounding the edges of the ends of the tubes, I might try a flaring tools. And someday,, I will get my old metal lathe back up and running, just needs new belts,, and some rust removal,, any maybe a new motor. I grew up in a screw machine shop as a kid.

        Frederich