Re: [MedievalSawdust] RE: Holdfasts

  • Sean Powell
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 25, 2013
      Wow, nope. Thanks for pointing it out but I can't see anything there that is useful. The light grey line looks like an extension of the beam in the background and ends where it runs into the floor. I never would have guessed it for a hold-fast.

      Thanks!
      Sean

      On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM, <gloerke@...> wrote:

      You are looking at the same thing, it is only a rotten image to look at.
      I have uploaded 2 photos in the photo section , folder Thpomasguild.they are called holdfast and img. The first shows you where to look - the holdfast is made red. The second is a high resolution rescan of the part of the image with the holdfast (but still a rotten picture).

      regards, marijn

    • Hall, Hayward
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 25, 2013

        Thanks.  I think with the few random late and near post-period examples we can say they were in use even though they were not overly illustrated.  Gerald suggested an interesting idea  while we were discussing it in that we are looking for it in woodworking pictures of planning/smoothing/jointing operations and not finding it, while in reality the holdfast is really better for things like holding down a fence for rebating or other operations unrelated to the task illustrated per se.  In fact there are a host of small items a woodworker would need that are rarely illustrated.

        That’s my story, anyway…

        Guillaume