Re: [MedievalSawdust] RE: Holdfasts

  • Sean Powell
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 24, 2013
      Sorry, but I'm confused and not certain if I'm looking at the right picture. I'm used to holdfasts that look like this:

      I see what looks like a wedge on the side of the plank being planed. I see a notch in the end of the bench that would be useful for cutting into the endgrain. I don't see a thin grey line in the photo. What am I missing? Am I even looking at the right photo? Of a man with a long 2-handled plan but only holding the rear handle and a spot near the blade?

      Thanks in advance,
      Sean

      On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM, <gloerke@...> wrote:

      Well, there is a medieval holdfast to see on my blog, but it is very hard to see.

      use this link http://thomasguild.blogspot.nl/2012/12/the-medieval-toolchest-plane-part-15.html

      the intarsia by Agustino de Marchi (1468-1477) shows a workbench. On the left side before the legs start is a holdfast in/through the bench. It can be seen as a thin light grey line on the photo. I am sorry I do not have a better quality image of this. (You should go to Italy and take photos of the intarsia for all of us ;)

      Marijn

      ---In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, <lyndafjellman@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone have an illustration of a medieval holdfast? I was sure I did
      > but looking back all I see are bench stops.
      >
      > Guillaume

      The pics up here aren't precisely holdfasts, but they are methods of holding wood to a bench.  They are all before 1650 as well.
      Ilaria
      pardon if someone already posted this link, I didn't notice.

    • gloerke
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 25, 2013
        You are looking at the same thing, it is only a rotten image to look at.
        I have uploaded 2 photos in the photo section , folder Thpomasguild.they are called holdfast and img. The first shows you where to look - the holdfast is made red. The second is a high resolution rescan of the part of the image with the holdfast (but still a rotten picture).

        regards, marijn

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 25, 2013
          Wow, nope. Thanks for pointing it out but I can't see anything there that is useful. The light grey line looks like an extension of the beam in the background and ends where it runs into the floor. I never would have guessed it for a hold-fast.

          Thanks!
          Sean

          On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM, <gloerke@...> wrote:

          You are looking at the same thing, it is only a rotten image to look at.
          I have uploaded 2 photos in the photo section , folder Thpomasguild.they are called holdfast and img. The first shows you where to look - the holdfast is made red. The second is a high resolution rescan of the part of the image with the holdfast (but still a rotten picture).

          regards, marijn

        • Hall, Hayward
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 25, 2013

            Thanks.  I think with the few random late and near post-period examples we can say they were in use even though they were not overly illustrated.  Gerald suggested an interesting idea  while we were discussing it in that we are looking for it in woodworking pictures of planning/smoothing/jointing operations and not finding it, while in reality the holdfast is really better for things like holding down a fence for rebating or other operations unrelated to the task illustrated per se.  In fact there are a host of small items a woodworker would need that are rarely illustrated.

            That’s my story, anyway…

            Guillaume