Re: [MedievalSawdust] workbench/cabinet designs.

  • bsrlee
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
      We need to stop corresponding like this, people WON'T talk :-)

      The oldest fully enclosed work benches that I know of are late 1800's
      designs, but I am prepared to be pleasantly surprised - after all Roy
      Underhill found a design for a compact, folding spring pole lathe that
      is late 1700's.

      Lee Valley sell a set of plans to make one out of modern materials if
      you can't be bothered designing your own:
      http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=69603&cat=1,46158,56642&ap=1
      It looks a bit like a sideboard, storage only for woodworking tools, no
      room for completed projects unless you just stack them on top.

      Otherwise they tend to be 'wood magazine specials' - a framed armoire
      type cabinet that has a fold out worksurface that is adequate for power
      tools but I generally would doubt their ability to stand up to planing,
      sawing or chopping with a chisel. Most of them assume you are going to
      bolt or screw the whole thing to a solid wall to provide at least some
      resistance to racking - and stop it falling on top of you as you work.

      regards
      Brusi of Orkney

      On 18-Sep-13 4:47 PM, Jerry Harder wrote:
      > Several months ago I asked this list about medieval storage cabinets
      > and Brusi of Orkney (bsrlee) sent me this awesome site:
      > http://thomasguild.blogspot.com.au/search/label/armoire In preparation
      > of going that route I put up a large bookshelf in the space I planned to
      > put the arniore and found that it was great for storing stuff but
      > visually blocked the area and was awkward in that congested a lot of
      > work space. I am building 10 or so boxes but I want to store them out
      > of the rain so I want some sort of closed cabinets to put them in.
      > Cabinets that double as a workbench are really what I need. It is easy
      > to find work bench designs but not enclosed ones. SO if anyone comes
      > accrost any cabinet designs ( something like an alter but not so fancy)
      > and appropiate in hight to double as a work bench please pass them
      > along. I could really get excited if they were 1500 German.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Gerald goodwine.

    • lorderec

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 26, 2013

                   Fear not, Jerry!  the new format is difficult at best. This should do it:

                  ---In
                • bsrlee
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 26, 2013
                    Yahoo keeps changing things.

                    Last night I had to open a message in the relevant Yahoo Group - e.g. Medieval Sawdust, only then would it bring up the 'photos' and 'files' options in a menu above the message. PITA.

                    And no idea if it won't be different tomorrow

                    regards
                    Brusi of Orkney