buildings and ladders

  • Jerry Harder
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2013
      I am working to clear up some work space in the great machine, a dog powered tread-wheel, 12 ft X18 ft X 17ft tall,  and really the design is a fairly period looking one. Currently it is about a half scale of one of Agricolas 1556 shacks for boiling salt well water to salt replacing mortar with canvas and I would rather not loose too much of the medieval look. The stairway that leads up to the second floor is currently in the middle of the work space so I am considering putting it on the outside.  I know that many civil war cabins in the states simply had vertical ladders inside that went up to such lofts and would be out of the way, but this would not work for the dogs who also sleep upstairs I sleep during week long camping events.  Putting the stairs on the outside would work but look very much like a modern fire escape as seen in many duplexes.  Has anyone come across any period buildings Especially the timber framed buildings with mortar between the timbers seen all over Europe, that have stairs on the outside?  It would greatly ease my mind that such a modification would not be out of period.

      Thanks

      Gerald Goodwine