RE: [MedievalSawdust] RE: Adventures in oak

  • conradh@...
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 13, 2013
      > So when you split it and plane it down while still 'wet', how much
      > checking/cracking happens on the end? I would assume less than with a
      > log.
      >
      > Guillaume

      I'm not Peter, but I find that I prefer to split the green wood down to
      slabs, billets or whatever as soon as I can. This really helps with the
      checking problems. A lot of the cracks I see in whole logs seem to be the
      outer layers shrinking over a heart that hasn't dried and shrunk as much
      yet. Split the pieces down far enough and there's a lot less chance of
      that. (They also dry more quickly, and you have less worry about rot.)

      However, I don't generally go as far as a plane with them. Your blanks may
      warp or wind as they dry; if those are minor it can be easy to plane them
      out. Finishing green wood can leave you with that work to do over, and
      possibly an undersize piece. Generally it's hewing hatchet and froe and
      wedges and sometimes a drawknife for the green stock, and then I put the
      oversize blank away to dry for a year or three.

      Ulfhedinn
    • Peter Ellison
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 13, 2013
        I'm not sure how much will check, the design of the stool is such that there is very little end grain visible.

        The top seems to be the most vulnerable to this, time will tell.

        I'll report back in about a year or so what things look like, so far the pine one I did has not moved much, but it will likely not be fully dry for at least a year or so.  The thickest piece is roughly two inches, using the rule of thumb of an inch per year it will be a good long time before it is fully dry.

        Peter

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 13, 2013
          One of the wood working books I read the gentle headed with wood and trained the family to set aside anything that looked "interesting" wavy grain or spalting.

          Working the wood green there is a lot of waste wood.  Both from the pith, but also since things come out as wedges and the shavings all pile up pretty quick.

          The second stool I made converted logs into two yard bags of shavings, I understand why old time wood workers sold them.

          Peter

          On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM, <conradh@...> wrote:

          > If you are thinking of trying this project my suggestion is "just do it"
          > the worst case is that you have a lot of fire wood :-)
          >
          > Peter

          I've seen a lot of people surprised at just how much wood is available for
          the asking, if you don't mind putting in some work.

          Since we heat the house with wood, your fallback suggestion is very
          relevant for us too. It helps to hang loose too--sometimes it's a great
          looking tree that's impossible inside, so you go out after project wood
          and come back with stuff to split for the woodstove. And then I'm going
          after firewood and finding stuff that's too good to burn.

          Making space to store both helps a lot!

        • gerlachwiesengrund