Adventures in oak

  • Peter Ellison
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 11, 2013
      Commenting the I did not have a source for green oak while teaching a class one of the gentles said, if you come down and collect it the tree is yours.

      It would be a nervous couple of weeks wondering what I had gotten myself into.  Sight unseen a "large oak" would be mine for the chopping, splitting ...

      Well hopped into the car and headed south a couple of hours to down to an address that was noted in mapquest "some parts are not paved" ... I arrived.

      The first attempt was a "small limb" about 8 inches in diameter.  It split wonderfully, at that point the kind gentle lopped off a section of the main trunk about three feet long and about twenty eight inches in diameter.

      It was an effort to roll into the shade to start the splitting process.

      Once I got the hang of it, I need to "worry" the first split across the tree so that I can control the split.

      Three sections later I have more than enough for a stool.

      I was a little worried that it would be "too dry" as the tree was downed in April.

      That was not a problem, the sections are sopping wet.

      Tonight I could not resist the urge and I pulled out a small section, split it down, planed it and now have a usable piece of board ...

      Now I need to finish the second pine stool, but it was a very satisfying diversion, taking controllable 1/16" thick by inch wide shavings off with my plane.

      I'm going to need to make a couple of trips down again to finish up the harvest, but it should be good more wood that I can handle for a long time.

      Peter Petrovitch.

    • Hall, Hayward
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2013

        Congrats J

[...]

      • gerlachwiesengrund

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 12, 2013
            Roughly 28" or so.  I think the tree was on a hill when it grew so it is not exactly round, but then again beggars can't be choosers.

            The pith of the tree is pretty crooked, so in general the middle couple of inches are a loss.
            The outside inch needs to be trimmed off also.

            To make a stool I look for parts in the order of, seat, legs, the top stiles, then the bottom runners.

            If you are thinking of trying this project my suggestion is "just do it" the worst case is that you have a lot of fire wood :-)

            Peter

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 12, 2013

              So when you split it and plane it down while still ‘wet’, how much checking/cracking happens on the end?  I would assume less than with a log.

              Guillaume

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 13, 2013

                > If you are thinking of trying this project my suggestion is "just do it"
                > the worst case is that you have a lot of fire wood :-)
                >
                > Peter

                I've seen a lot of people surprised at just how much wood is available for
                the asking, if you don't mind putting in some work.

                Since we heat the house with wood, your fallback suggestion is very
                relevant for us too. It helps to hang loose too--sometimes it's a great
                looking tree that's impossible inside, so you go out after project wood
                and come back with stuff to split for the woodstove. And then I'm going
                after firewood and finding stuff that's too good to burn.

                Making space to store both helps a lot!
              • conradh@...
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 13, 2013
                  > So when you split it and plane it down while still 'wet', how much
                  > checking/cracking happens on the end? I would assume less than with a
                  > log.
                  >
                  > Guillaume

                  I'm not Peter, but I find that I prefer to split the green wood down to
                  slabs, billets or whatever as soon as I can. This really helps with the
                  checking problems. A lot of the cracks I see in whole logs seem to be the
                  outer layers shrinking over a heart that hasn't dried and shrunk as much
                  yet. Split the pieces down far enough and there's a lot less chance of
                  that. (They also dry more quickly, and you have less worry about rot.)

                  However, I don't generally go as far as a plane with them. Your blanks may
                  warp or wind as they dry; if those are minor it can be easy to plane them
                  out. Finishing green wood can leave you with that work to do over, and
                  possibly an undersize piece. Generally it's hewing hatchet and froe and
                  wedges and sometimes a drawknife for the green stock, and then I put the
                  oversize blank away to dry for a year or three.

                  Ulfhedinn
                • Peter Ellison
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 13, 2013
                    I'm not sure how much will check, the design of the stool is such that there is very little end grain visible.

                    The top seems to be the most vulnerable to this, time will tell.

                    I'll report back in about a year or so what things look like, so far the pine one I did has not moved much, but it will likely not be fully dry for at least a year or so.  The thickest piece is roughly two inches, using the rule of thumb of an inch per year it will be a good long time before it is fully dry.

                    Peter

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 13, 2013
                      One of the wood working books I read the gentle headed with wood and trained the family to set aside anything that looked "interesting" wavy grain or spalting.

                      Working the wood green there is a lot of waste wood.  Both from the pith, but also since things come out as wedges and the shavings all pile up pretty quick.

                      The second stool I made converted logs into two yard bags of shavings, I understand why old time wood workers sold them.

                      Peter