Milk paint

  • armlann
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 10, 2013
      Where are folks buying milk paint? I searched but didn't find what I was looking for. Suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

      Jon
    • Dan Baker
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 10, 2013

        Did you try Restoration Hardware?

        On Sep 10, 2013 7:34 PM, "armlann" <jon@...> wrote:

        Where are folks buying milk paint? I searched but didn't find what I was looking for. Suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

        Jon

      • Vels inn Viggladi
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 10, 2013
          "Old Fashioned Milk Paint" Co.:
          http://www.milkpaint.com/

          "Real Milk Paint Company":
          http://www.realmilkpaint.com/

          Both use natural pigments (rather than bonded acrylic). I like the color spectrum of "Real Milk Paint Company" products over "Old Fashioned," however "Old Fashioned" has given me better results more consistently. "Old Fashioned" also tends to use more historically appropriate to the medieval era) of pigments while "RMP" tends toward 19th century alternatives to some of the more hazardous (but still mostly innocuous) natural pigments.

          If you plan on sucking on your paintbrushes, go with Real Milk Paint every time. Between the two you get a great spectrum of colors.

          General Finishes makes a product they call "Milk Paint." It is a casein binder, but uses bonded acrylic for the pigment particles. It works well and paints nicely, but it doesn't function and look like naturally pigmented casein (milk) paint.

          Vels

          > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
          > From: jon@...
          > Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 19:31:16 +0000
          > Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Milk paint
          >
          > Where are folks buying milk paint? I searched but didn't find what I was looking for. Suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.
          >
          > Jon

          > <*> Your email settings:
          > Individual Email | Traditional
          >
          > <*> To change settings online go to:
          > (Yahoo! ID required)
          >
          > <*> To change settings via email:
          > medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com
          > medievalsawdust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          > http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/

        • Dusty Quinn Campbell
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 10, 2013
            Woodcraft carries it.  My local store is over an hour away, so I did an Internet search and discovered that a "bare" wood furniture store nearby also carries it.

            --Dunstan

            On Sep 10, 2013, at 12:31 PM, "armlann" <jon@...> wrote:

            Where are folks buying milk paint? I searched but didn't find what I was looking for. Suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

            Jon

          • Rachel Stallings
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 10, 2013
              google search popped up www.milkpaint.com
              www.marthastewart.com offered up this recipe to make your own.
              And my local Lowe's store apparently sells it. http://www.lowes.com/pd_144501-86-A102MILKPAINT_0__
              an 8 oz sample is $0.38.

              --
              I hope you have a great day!
              Rachel

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 11, 2013
                  I believe that the earliest paint 'recipie' that we have a record of is for egg tempera, in one of more of the Rennaisance 'how to' texts. Milk paint as we know it first appears as a 'recipie' in the 19th Century.

                  However, there is ample evidence of paint being used on wood as well as other materials from Classical (Greek & Roman) times both in the form of contemporary art (frecoes, illumination) and as traces on surviving furnishings.

                  What we sorely lack is accurate knowledge of the binders that held the pigments to the surviving objects. In general terms the 'surviving' material has such small traces of pigment that they are only just detectable with the latest high tech scanning whatnames developed in the last decade or so, and the pigments that they are finding all seem to be mineral derived and thus not readily susceptable to decay, as opposed to their presumed animal or vegetable derived binders. The state-of-the-art in archeology has been advancing rapidly as far as delecting and analysing tiny traces of organic remains goes - they are getting to the point where they can identify multiple fillings in recycled amphorae for instance - so one day, hopefully soon, we may yet get some idea of what was used to stick things together.

                  And of course there is always the chance that someone will find either a textural fragment or even a securely dateable item with enough paint to support analysis - after all, a decade ago we had no real idea how the Romans fitted their helmet linings, and now we have a surviving sample of the glue, still sticky under the lining, insitu inside a helmet.

                  regards
                  Brusi of Orkney
                  Rowany/Lochac

                  On 11-Sep-13 4:20 PM, Jerry Harder wrote:
                  So is milk paint period?  Can anyone document a period milk paint recipe or artifact that uses it?

                • gerlachwiesengrund
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 11, 2013

                    You can also use artist pigments mixed into a oil or wiping varnish finish.  It's a technique that is definitely used in the 17th century, but I don't have any proof for 16th century.

                    I used it on a stool and it works fine, but is very messy.

                    Ezekiel/Gerlach

                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

                  • Karl Newman
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 11, 2013
                    • Hall, Hayward
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 11, 2013
                        We've always mixed our own for small projects. There are lots of recipes available online. The bigger question is where to get pigments.

                        Guillaume

                        Where are folks buying milk paint? I searched but didn't find what I was looking for. Suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

                        Jon

                        ------------------------------------
                      • Vels inn Viggladi
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 11, 2013

                          >From: rachel.e.stallings@...
                          >
                          >google search popped up www.milkpaint.com
                          >www.marthastewart.com offered up this recipe to make your own.
                          >And my local Lowe's store apparently sells it. http://www.lowes.com/pd_144501-86-A102MILKPAINT_0__
                          >an 8 oz sample is $0.38.
                          >
                          >--
                          >I hope you have a great day!
                          >Rachel

                          And this is where the marketing can trip us up :
                          Under the specifications tab for the product at Lowe's-
                          Base TypeLatex
                          Paint Color FamilyWhites
                          Manufacturer Color/FinishMilk Paint

                          That tells us that it is a latex binder that attempts to simulate the appearance of milk paint. It's not even bonded acrylic in a casein binder.

                          Vels
                        • Vels inn Viggladi
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 11, 2013

                            >So is milk paint period?  Can anyone
                            document a period milk paint recipe or artifact that uses it?

                            Presumptively, yes. But it's tricky to prove definitively.

                            I beg you'alls indulgence on this, milk paint is one of my rant inducing topics -

                            Cennini dedicated a fair part of Il Libro del Arte to discussing different adhesives. Almost off-handedly he mentions the use of these sizes as binders for pigment. Paint is composed of three elements: pigment, binder or temper, and solvent. You have the color, the carrier for the color, and the solution that things the carrier so it can be applied to a surface.
                            Binder and temper are words that can be used interchangeably. Two other words that are also used in the same context, interchangeably, are size and gluten. Size and gluten more typically refer to a binder that is an adhesive rather than one that is primarily a temper. Of which, Cennini discusses seven total recipies for "size." Five are made from animal skin or parts, one from thin cheese, and one from crushed amber. The wrench in all this is his discussion of varnish as a "gluten" made from crushed amber boiled in linseed oil as a hardening finish. Gluten is apparently the closest word in English that relates, and is actually a declension of the latin word for "glue." In looking at the original Italian, Cennini only gets specific when speaking about oil (binder and solvent) paints for painting canvas. Far more often he will interchange "temper" and "size" when discussing other paints.

                            For a casein paint, the pigment is whatever kind of dirt one is using for color, milk proteins for a binder, and water for a solvent.

                            Many consider Stephen Shepherd to be the head man in the field when discussing pre-modern glues and paints. His literature indicates that the method for deriving casein powder from milk does not predate the US Patent for doing such, which was submitted in 1847. While he once stated that milk paint was never used on furniture in the 19th century, he also claims that milk paint is a white-wash, and not a paint. Pigmented or not, he holds it is a white-wash... He moved the goal line to stay right. He eventually agreed that he didn't have significant information about the topic prior to the 18th century and allowed that there are other methods of attaining casein protein than the modern method which was patented in the 1840's. This limited his one-time certain statement that "milk paint was never used on furniture" to be revised to "milk paint does not appear to have been used on furniture in the 19th century."

                            Rarely are the paints we find on extant furniture pieces tested for chemical make-up. Often, many of the extant pieces from the middle ages have been stripped of their original finish (paint) by Victorian era "conservators" who were attempting to protect the wood under the failing original finish by removing old finishes and replacing with oil and wax (in accordance with the style choices indicative of their era). There are a few pieces that do still have traces of their original paint, and have had the paint tested for chemical makeup. The "Duchess Agnes" chair is one of them and is typically my go to. The paint is identified as "proteinaceous." That is, the binder is some form of animal-derived protein. Forensic science has not been applied more thoroughly than that, however. We do know that 17th century pieces from New England have also been tested and confirmed to have protein-bound pigments. Those are believed to be hide-glue sizes. The double check, however, is that not all the pieces found with  proteinaceous paint have hygroscopic properties -- that is, they don't absorb water and become fluid again when wet and/or warmed.

                            No one can say with certainty from the chemical tests, usually because the molecules are so deteriorated they cannot be identified beyond being a protein strand, and we have no written documents that provide a certain answer from within our period of study.  Collagen tempers (Hide, Hoof, Isenglass) are hygroscopic. Casein (Milk/Cheese) tempers are not. Egg temper is also non-hygroscopic. But that's where we get into how the paint adheres to the wood. Egg tempers have a tendency to float on the surface of wood, while Casein is a penetrative temper. So, now we're looking at how the paint has worn off...
                            The Duchess Agnes appears to have had a penetrating temper, that is not hygroscopic, and is proteinaceous. It's a process of elimination argument.

                            Vels

                          • bsrlee
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 12, 2013
                              Its even less informative than that - it seems that in US 'paint-speak' latex means is that whatever binder is used is blended with a thining agent until it becomes a 'latex' suspension rather than being made from rubber, which is what the rest of the world thinks of when something is referred to as 'latex', rather like if it was instead described as 'homogenised' - milk also being considered a synonym for latex. See Google 'definition latex'.

                              regards
                              Brusi of Orkney

                              On 12-Sep-13 12:56 PM, Vels inn Viggladi wrote:

                              >From: rachel.e.stallings@...
                              >
                              >google search popped up www.milkpaint.com
                              >www.marthastewart.com offered up this recipe to make your own.
                              >And my local Lowe's store apparently sells it. http://www.lowes.com/pd_144501-86-A102MILKPAINT_0__
                              >an 8 oz sample is $0.38.
                              >
                              >--
                              >I hope you have a great day!
                              >Rachel

                              And this is where the marketing can trip us up :
                              Under the specifications tab for the product at Lowe's-
                              Base TypeLatex
                              Paint Color FamilyWhites
                              Manufacturer Color/FinishMilk Paint

                              That tells us that it is a latex binder that attempts to simulate the appearance of milk paint. It's not even bonded acrylic in a casein binder.

                              Vels

                            • hallieve
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 12, 2013
                                Milk paint is easy and cheap to make that's why it was used so commonly. It's just pigment added to milk. thickened by using spoiled mike that has separated. or by letting in evaporate a few days. This did not smell good but makes a good paint. Today you can make it better and cheaper by using powdered milk and the tube pigments available at any paint store. If you want a shiny paint egg tempera is just as simple and that is definitely period. was used by the romans and was what was used before oil paint was developed. it is ground pigment added to egg yolk. It takes a lot longer to dry than milk.
                                  paint.
                                Hope this helps,
                                Hallie in south east fl.
                              • Dusty Quinn Campbell

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 12, 2013

                                    I dated a girl with a penetrating temper once … although I think she was a Sagittarius, not proteinaceous.

                                    Very nice writeup.

                                    Guillaume

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 14, 2013
                                      I have just received my copy of the second printing of 'Before the Mast'
                                      from Oxbow Books (David Brown in the US).

                                      It has been split into two volumes, one slightly larger than the other.
                                      No slip case, so it fits in with the earlier books but not quite in line
                                      with the more recent 2 volumes on weapons and the ship's structure - oh
                                      well.....

                                      regards
                                      Brusi of Orkney