Re: [MedievalSawdust] interiors of boxes

  • conradh@...
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 5, 2013
      I was taught years ago to slightly curl the sharp tip of a clinch nail,
      drive it through the pilot hole until the tip was just visible, then set a
      heavy backing iron on the _inside_ and continue driving from the outside.
      The nail curves over and re-inters the wood, as opposed to just being bent
      over flat against the inside surface.

      Have you seen any signs of this method in period? They have a distinctive
      appearance; almost like the rounded top of a staple. Or were they all
      simply bent flat, as you've described?

      Ulfhedinn

      > the most of the period strapwork fastenings I've seen have been 'rosehead
      > cut nails'. Only a very few have been "through-bolted" - usually the
      > hasps, staples, and lifting handles..
      > And I'd say 95% of those fastenings have been clenched-over back into the
      > wall-timber, inside the chests.
      >
      > I do recall having seen a few medieval chests where the makers had added
      > 'roves' to spread the loading - but the most of the fastenings have been
      > simply clenched-over - presumably using a heavy dolly outside, and a
      > ball-pein hammer inside. That's what I do and it seem to work well enough.
      >
      > However, just to make that operation easier, I do take the time to sharpen
      > the business-end of each nail to a really-sharp point, and bend the first
      > 6mm behind that point at right angles to the main shaft in the direction
      > of the clench, once I've hammered the nail through the pilot-hole in the
      > chest timber,  - before starting the clenching-over operation.
      > regards,
      >  Matthewe
      >

      > ________________________________

    • D. Young
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 5, 2013
        Yes this technique is used from the middle ages to the 19th century.

        I have numerous original pieces and components of furniture....many curled over nails.

        :)

        hope that helps
        Drew

             Custom Commissions Welcome....!