RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Brace/bits

  • Vels inn Viggladi
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 2013
      > I have heard a rumour (thanks Gerald) that the knob
      on top of medieval
      > braces was held in place by a pin going through the
      knob and engaging a
      > slot in the shaft sticking up out of the body. Can
      anyone confirm that
      > (possibly in the Mary Rose book)? I've seen pictures
      of braces from the
      > Vassa (1600's) with slotted shafts but Ive never seen
      a pin on the knob.
      > Trying to finish up a brace to use this weekend at an
      event.

      Confirmed. Page 301 of one of the Mary Rose books shows an illustrated cut-away of the pin/groove mechanism of a brace (objects 81A0711/1-2 and 81A4481). There is another (81A3094/1-2) that is a friction fit that appears to be a round mortise in the knob that is flared to be wider at the "bottom" than it is at the opening. The shaft likewise has a bulbous round tenon that mates into the knob. I figure the only way for that to work would be to soak the brace shaft until it is pliably wet then encourage the socket together with a bit of force.

      Marijn had posted links to pdf versions of this document and shared a link here sometime in the last few months. Might suggest going through the list archives or scouring the St. Thomas Guild blog for the link.

      Vels

    • Hall, Hayward
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 2013

        Excellent, thank you.  I’ll search for that.

        Guillaume