Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Brace/bits

  • Jerry Harder
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2013
      The pin goes through the knob and intersects the intersection of the knob and the brace on one side.  (Think side view)  The brace must have a grove all the way round so that the pin can ride around it. The pin is not on the centerline of the knob or the brace, and it is not the end of the pin that rides in the grove, it is the pins side.

      On 9/3/2013 7:12 PM, conradh@... wrote:

      > I have heard a rumour (thanks Gerald) that the knob on top of medieval
      > braces was held in place by a pin going through the knob and engaging a
      > slot in the shaft sticking up out of the body. Can anyone confirm that
      > (possibly in the Mary Rose book)? I've seen pictures of braces from the
      > Vassa (1600's) with slotted shafts but Ive never seen a pin on the knob.
      > Trying to finish up a brace to use this weekend at an event.

      Wouldn't a pin like that lock the knob to the shaft? Or by "slot" do you
      mean a turned groove near the top end of the shaft? The knob needs to be
      free to turn, just not fall off all the time. You can engage that groove
      with the end of a very short pin, or with a metal tab pressed into a slot.

      Trouble is, neither would be very conspicuous, and might easily be missed
      by an artist drawing tools. I've seen old tools where time and tarnish
      has made them hard to see when the tool is in your hand!

      Ulfhedinn

    • Vels inn Viggladi
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 2013
        > I have heard a rumour (thanks Gerald) that the knob
        on top of medieval
        > braces was held in place by a pin going through the
        knob and engaging a
        > slot in the shaft sticking up out of the body. Can
        anyone confirm that
        > (possibly in the Mary Rose book)? I've seen pictures
        of braces from the
        > Vassa (1600's) with slotted shafts but Ive never seen
        a pin on the knob.
        > Trying to finish up a brace to use this weekend at an
        event.

        Confirmed. Page 301 of one of the Mary Rose books shows an illustrated cut-away of the pin/groove mechanism of a brace (objects 81A0711/1-2 and 81A4481). There is another (81A3094/1-2) that is a friction fit that appears to be a round mortise in the knob that is flared to be wider at the "bottom" than it is at the opening. The shaft likewise has a bulbous round tenon that mates into the knob. I figure the only way for that to work would be to soak the brace shaft until it is pliably wet then encourage the socket together with a bit of force.

        Marijn had posted links to pdf versions of this document and shared a link here sometime in the last few months. Might suggest going through the list archives or scouring the St. Thomas Guild blog for the link.

        Vels

      • Hall, Hayward
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4, 2013

          Excellent, thank you.  I’ll search for that.

          Guillaume