Re: [MedievalSawdust] Mastermyr reconstructions:

  • conradh@...
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 29, 2013
      > I had wondered it it had been stolen (because of the broken locks and
      > hole) and the thief dumped it when pursued. I like your ideas better
      > though. Why no handles?

      Why no handles on the box? No idea. Why no handles on the tools inside?
      That's what got me thinking that they were obtained that way; tool heads
      with missing or broken-off handles, taken by the box owner in trade for
      some other repair job or finished piece. I have hundreds of pounds of old
      tool heads in my scrap pile, but iron is much cheaper these days and I
      don't have to carry them all around with me. But every year I clean up a
      few of them and make new handles for customers, or teach a student how to
      do it for their own collection. A traveling smith would find a "scrap
      pile" equally useful, but would be limited in how much he could carry
      around with him.

      Ulfhedinn