Brace/bits

  • Hall, Hayward
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 27 2:19 PM

      How early can we document removable bits from a brace?  Every one I’ve seen in period (and this is very limited) so far appears to have a fixed bit.

      Some good documentation I’ve seen so far is on ThomasGuild showing inventories of tools, where one or 2 braces show up in tool inventories until 1592 where “one brace and 5 bits for the same” are listed.

      Guillaume

    • gloerke
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 28 7:28 AM
        There is a Leonardo da Vinci invention/image showing an improved brace and bit design, which places the brace and bit at least into the late 15th century.

        Marijn / Thomasguild

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Hall, Hayward" <hallh@...> wrote:

        > How early can we document removable bits from a brace? Every one I've seen in period (and this is very limited) so far appears to have a fixed bit.
        >
        > Some good documentation I've seen so far is on ThomasGuild showing inventories of tools, where one or 2 braces show up in tool inventories until 1592 where "one brace and 5 bits for the same" are listed.
        >
        > Guillaume

      • Hall, Hayward
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2013
          I have heard a rumour (thanks Gerald) that the knob on top of medieval braces was held in place by a pin going through the knob and engaging a slot in the shaft sticking up out of the body. Can anyone confirm that (possibly in the Mary Rose book)? I've seen pictures of braces from the Vassa (1600's) with slotted shafts but Ive never seen a pin on the knob. Trying to finish up a brace to use this weekend at an event.

          Guillaume

          ------------------------------------
        • conradh@...
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2013
            > I have heard a rumour (thanks Gerald) that the knob on top of medieval
            > braces was held in place by a pin going through the knob and engaging a
            > slot in the shaft sticking up out of the body. Can anyone confirm that
            > (possibly in the Mary Rose book)? I've seen pictures of braces from the
            > Vassa (1600's) with slotted shafts but Ive never seen a pin on the knob.
            > Trying to finish up a brace to use this weekend at an event.

            Wouldn't a pin like that lock the knob to the shaft? Or by "slot" do you
            mean a turned groove near the top end of the shaft? The knob needs to be
            free to turn, just not fall off all the time. You can engage that groove
            with the end of a very short pin, or with a metal tab pressed into a slot.

            Trouble is, neither would be very conspicuous, and might easily be missed
            by an artist drawing tools. I've seen old tools where time and tarnish
            has made them hard to see when the tool is in your hand!

            Ulfhedinn
          • Hall, Hayward
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3, 2013
              Yes, a pin in a groove. Here's a pic from the Mary Rose http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fLXjsg2_rV0/UQL9h4ysk-I/AAAAAAAACpM/aCSKOk3Keig/s1600/mary-rose-gauge.jpg
              Its just that I've never see a hole for the pin on the knob. It also looks like, in this one anyway, that the shaft is a separate piece inserted into the body.

              I guess its pretty obvious that's what it is, I just want confirmation.

              > I have heard a rumour (thanks Gerald) that the knob on top of medieval
              > braces was held in place by a pin going through the knob and engaging
              > a slot in the shaft sticking up out of the body. Can anyone confirm
              > that (possibly in the Mary Rose book)? I've seen pictures of braces
              > from the Vassa (1600's) with slotted shafts but Ive never seen a pin on the knob.
              > Trying to finish up a brace to use this weekend at an event.

              Wouldn't a pin like that lock the knob to the shaft? Or by "slot" do you mean a turned groove near the top end of the shaft? The knob needs to be free to turn, just not fall off all the time. You can engage that groove with the end of a very short pin, or with a metal tab pressed into a slot.

              Trouble is, neither would be very conspicuous, and might easily be missed by an artist drawing tools. I've seen old tools where time and tarnish has made them hard to see when the tool is in your hand!

              Ulfhedinn

              ------------------------------------
            • Jerry Harder
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 3, 2013
                The pin goes through the knob and intersects the intersection of the knob and the brace on one side.  (Think side view)  The brace must have a grove all the way round so that the pin can ride around it. The pin is not on the centerline of the knob or the brace, and it is not the end of the pin that rides in the grove, it is the pins side.

                On 9/3/2013 7:12 PM, conradh@... wrote:

                > I have heard a rumour (thanks Gerald) that the knob on top of medieval
                > braces was held in place by a pin going through the knob and engaging a
                > slot in the shaft sticking up out of the body. Can anyone confirm that
                > (possibly in the Mary Rose book)? I've seen pictures of braces from the
                > Vassa (1600's) with slotted shafts but Ive never seen a pin on the knob.
                > Trying to finish up a brace to use this weekend at an event.

                Wouldn't a pin like that lock the knob to the shaft? Or by "slot" do you
                mean a turned groove near the top end of the shaft? The knob needs to be
                free to turn, just not fall off all the time. You can engage that groove
                with the end of a very short pin, or with a metal tab pressed into a slot.

                Trouble is, neither would be very conspicuous, and might easily be missed
                by an artist drawing tools. I've seen old tools where time and tarnish
                has made them hard to see when the tool is in your hand!

                Ulfhedinn

              • Vels inn Viggladi
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 4, 2013
                  > I have heard a rumour (thanks Gerald) that the knob
                  on top of medieval
                  > braces was held in place by a pin going through the
                  knob and engaging a
                  > slot in the shaft sticking up out of the body. Can
                  anyone confirm that
                  > (possibly in the Mary Rose book)? I've seen pictures
                  of braces from the
                  > Vassa (1600's) with slotted shafts but Ive never seen
                  a pin on the knob.
                  > Trying to finish up a brace to use this weekend at an
                  event.

                  Confirmed. Page 301 of one of the Mary Rose books shows an illustrated cut-away of the pin/groove mechanism of a brace (objects 81A0711/1-2 and 81A4481). There is another (81A3094/1-2) that is a friction fit that appears to be a round mortise in the knob that is flared to be wider at the "bottom" than it is at the opening. The shaft likewise has a bulbous round tenon that mates into the knob. I figure the only way for that to work would be to soak the brace shaft until it is pliably wet then encourage the socket together with a bit of force.

                  Marijn had posted links to pdf versions of this document and shared a link here sometime in the last few months. Might suggest going through the list archives or scouring the St. Thomas Guild blog for the link.

                  Vels

                • Hall, Hayward
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 4, 2013

                    Excellent, thank you.  I’ll search for that.

                    Guillaume