RE: [MedievalSawdust] replica antique box locks

  • D. Young
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 26, 2013
      I hear ya Matthewe

      Hence the reason Im edging closer to making some.

           Custom Commissions Welcome....!

      www.partsandtechnical.com

      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: lhjw66576@...
      Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 18:59:31 +0100
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] replica antique box locks

      Thank you, Mr. Young.
      Most of my clients so far, for medievally-themed chests and coffers - have wanted to pass the "3-Foot Rule" but haven't demanded absolute historical-replica accuracy.
      I have found quite a large selection of "blackwork" hinges, corner protections, and strapwork available off-the-shelf; - and if I had to do so, I could even make them myself though it's not a Craft I have much reason to exercise.
      But chest locks which will pass the 3-Foot Rule - even with modern mechanisms inside or behind a period case/faceplate - none of the Manufacurers from whom I could by a wide range of such period hinges /strapwork - also offer the extra lock-accessory in their online Catalogues. And no-one seems to offer any replica-"period" padlocks dating to before 1600AD. I've spent hours searching online without positive results - or I wouldn't be asking the question in this Forum.
      I'm grateful for your early response, naytheless.
      Matthewe

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 26, 2013

        The problem with either locks or any period mechanism or tool is that you really need to understand its workings in order to maintain it, and the time involved is generally cost prohibitive.  I’ll probably never sell a 13thc barrel lock because it takes an incredible about of tedious casting, filing and fitting of small parts if you want to do it right ($$$) and if something goes wrong or gets jammed in use either through user-error or mechanical failure (lets face it, I/we don’t make these for a living), then I have a disgruntled customer (although I’ve never had a problem with mine yet).  If someone produces stuff like this commercially, then they’re not generally going to look properly medieval, and its painful to see commercial hardware on a nice handmade period piece.  All that to say you’re better off learning to make ur own, or coming to a trade agreement.

        Gratuitous showing off:

        http://personal.evangel.edu/hallh/web/medievalstuff/barrellock.jpg

        http://personal.evangel.edu/hallh/web/medievalstuff/barrellock2.jpg

        I would teach a class on making these but the odds of someone(s) showing up with enough skills to complete it without 2 hours of 1-on-1 contact are fairly slim.  I’m happy if 1 in 10 actually know how to use a file (no offense to my wonderful students).  I wish sometimes I could do more than entry-level classes, which is another discussion altogether.

        Guillaume

        To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com