Re: [MedievalSawdust] Lid designs for medieval boxes

  • Julian Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2013
      Hi, Jerry,
      over the last 10 years, I've seen pictures of a lot of SCA-period chests and coffers; and looked at quite a few "in-the-wood" at various historic Properties open to the Public in the UK and in France and Germany.
      In all that time I've only noticed one late-medieval chest with such an integral lip. But I have seen several on exhibition where the original Maker created the same "stepped" effect by pinning and glueing a thin wooden ribband-upstand around the inside of the chest-body mouth.
       The little I have thought about this joinery detail, I came to the opinion that the little integral upstand lips may have been considered too fragile for general use, given the general wall thicknesses of the chests I've viewed.
      Regards,
       Matthewe
      [coming up to my 68th year as a Woodworker, but with only 15 years experience of creating medievally-themed furniture]