Lid designs for medieval boxes

  • Jerry Harder
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2013
      This is where I wish I could send a picture. I have tried to make an
      illustration below where B is for box, and C is for cover (the letters
      making the hatch pattern for a cutaway view) but here is also a
      another box. If you turned it upside down. It would be a nice tray.
      The most important feature of this lid is that it has a 3/8 inch by 3/8
      inch section cut out on the inside edges. This void corresponds to a
      similar void on the outside of the box itself. The purpose of this is
      if the box gets rained on the contents won't get wet. I believe I have
      it loose enough it wont get stuck from swelling. Most medieval boxes I
      have seen simply have a flat wooden cover. For practical purposes I
      don't to give it up. So the question is: Is there any evidence of the
      type of construction I have used.

      CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
      CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
      CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
      CCCCCCCCCC
      CCCCCCCCCC
      CCCCC BBBBB
      CCCCC BBBBB
      BBBBBBBBBB
      BBBBBBBBBB
      BBBBBBBBBB
    • Julian Wilson
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 26, 2013
        Hi, Jerry,
        over the last 10 years, I've seen pictures of a lot of SCA-period chests and coffers; and looked at quite a few "in-the-wood" at various historic Properties open to the Public in the UK and in France and Germany.
        In all that time I've only noticed one late-medieval chest with such an integral lip. But I have seen several on exhibition where the original Maker created the same "stepped" effect by pinning and glueing a thin wooden ribband-upstand around the inside of the chest-body mouth.
         The little I have thought about this joinery detail, I came to the opinion that the little integral upstand lips may have been considered too fragile for general use, given the general wall thicknesses of the chests I've viewed.
        Regards,
         Matthewe
        [coming up to my 68th year as a Woodworker, but with only 15 years experience of creating medievally-themed furniture]