A stool from a tree done !

  • Peter Ellison
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 21, 2013

      Picture link:

      http://scawoodprojects.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/the-atool-from-a-tree-is-done/

      This was a white pine in my backyard right next to the power lines.  I had a professional take down the tree and leave me the trunk so that I could attempt to make a stool from it.

      The project was a success, you can sit on the stool and it is very comfortable (it was made to the dimensions of my saw bench).

      No power tools or sand paper was used on it.  All of the tools are ones that someone from the past would recognize.  I cut up the trunk into sections with a 36″ one man cross cut saw, then from there used wedges and a sledge, a broad axe, then a plane.  All of the draw bored joinery was done with a mortice chisel and spoon bit to drill the holes.   The pegs where done with a draw knife.

      I did glue the joints just to be sure, the 1/4″ tenons felt very thin so I wanted to be sure it would not fall apart.

      The next one I’ll make a few changes but nothing too major it will be a little smaller so that it fit my wife comfortably.  I will keep better track of time, I think this one was 3-5 solid days of work spread over 5-6 weeks.

      There are a few flaws and lessons learned from the project that the maker gets to comment on, no one else seemed to find flaws in it.

      1. Make the legs longer and expect to trim them down.  I did not have any wiggle room in this one.

      2. Don't have "shoulders" on the tennons make the full sized, except the top ones just under the seat, that just makes the tennon smaller and more fragile.  Hard to explain in text easy to show.

      3. Make more reference marks on the legs so that the stringer and the top skirting line up better.

      4. Spend more time making the top flat, the seat piece caused all sorts of annoyance, it also squeaks when you sit on it, normal people find it cute, I find it annoying.

      5. Don't break off a tennon during final assembly and need to replace the piece the day before taking it to an event :-)

      6. Keep a work long everyone wants to know how long it took.

      I'm going to make another pine stool so that I have a matching pair and to see if I can learn from my mistakes.  I have a line on oak so the one after that should be a better material to work with.

      Peter Petrovitch

    • QK
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 21, 2013
        Nicely done!!! Very cool!!!!
      • Hall, Hayward
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 21, 2013

          Totally awesome J. Jealous…

          How long did you dry it before using it?

          Guillaume

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 21, 2013
            If at all possible try it in oak (the best for this), or really any other non-figured hard wood, beech, ash, maple, birch, etc.  1/4" tennon is tiny in Pine, but quite substantial in oak.  Plus the hard woods plane and carve so much better and take a way smoother finish from them than pine will give you.  And, oh yes, make the legs long, and then trim after final assembly and a little drying.  You may get a little twisting as it ages, just trim the legs to make it sit flat again.

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 21, 2013
              Thanks all for the positive comments.

              I did not dry it other than the time it took between operations or when I could work on it, the whole project from log to done was about 5-6 weeks.  One of the two trees that I worked with was dead (all brown needles) when it was cut down all of the lumber was still damp to the touch.  I'm guessing that it will dry and twist somewhat, should just add "character"

              Last weekend I got a line on oak that was cut down a couple of weeks ago so by the time that I will get to it the log should still be plenty green when I can get a truck there to collect it.  I would like to get to it sooner, but alas I'll just have to take it as I can.  I'm a city dweller and am just starting to get my feelers out that I'm interested in straight grain hardwoods the tree guys that took down my trees where interested in the project.  I live in the land of ash (Minnesota) so I'm guessing that with a little time and talking to the right people I should be able to line up storm downed trees.

              I'm thinking that maybe there might be a 3/8" mortice chisel in my future.

              Peter Petrovitch.

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 22, 2013
                  From the bit that I have been reading the drawbore joints where generally not glued because they are strong enough as is.  Although after 500 years of use it might be hard to tell if they ever had glue in them.  Other joints like this I have made don't need the glue, but on a workbench I glued 1" thick mortises because getting that last little bit of stability is worth it :-)

                  One of the comments from Peter Follansbee is that you don't need to make both shoulders of the tenon flush with the mortice.  It is faster not to and it does not add enough additional strength to justify the effort.  I would suggest not doing that on the lower stretchers because when you look down on the stool you see gaps that offend the maker of the stool.  On the next one I will be doing that on the upper boards to save time.

                  If you have ever thought of doing this yourself I'd recommend strongly this book, there is a good concise history, talk about tools and they authors step through the process in pretty good detail.

                  Peter Petrovitch.