RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: box locks

  • Michael Scherrer
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 20, 2013
      The ISBN #,   thank you........

      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: laurai@...
      Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:08:20 +1000
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: box locks

      Fron the blog I think the one meant is :

      • von Stülpnagel, K.H. 2000. Die gotischen Truhen der Lüneburger Heideklöster: Entwicklung - Konstruktion - Gestaltung. Stiftung Museumsdorf Cloppenburg, Germany  ISBN 978-3923675814. [In German] A more than complete book on medieval chests and hutches and their construction. Very detailed, many black/white photographs. 380 pages.

      Laura

      On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Dave Ordway <dabugler@...> wrote:

      I tried to find the book on the blog to no avail.  Can someone post more detailed info on it?  An exact title or ISBN would be greatly appreciated.

      Lagerstein

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 20, 2013
        Exactly, that is the book!

        I have been to these Luneburger convents during the last years and all these chests are very impressive to see - and not what you want to take with you to re-enactment camps, far too heavy. These convents are a treasure trove for any kind of medieval stuff, including all sorts of furniture - not only chests.

        Anyway, the book mostly concerns the hutch type chests, but also earlier and later types are shown and compared to similar medieval chests found elsewhere.

        Marijn

      • conradh@...
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 20, 2013
          I've found quite a few period descriptions, but they're from widely
          scattered sources, and they refer to equally scattered countries and
          periods!

          Diversity of basic lock designs seems to have been greater back then,
          simply because the coarser tolerances gave locksmiths fewer unique keys
          than we can have today. So in order to have unique keys for their
          customers, they utilized many different principles. You see this with
          Viking and medieval Scandinavia, where they used primitive tumbler locks
          (mostly made of wood) on house doors, sliding-key padlocks (much like ones
          still made in China and India today), and those cool chest locks where you
          stick a key in the middle, turn it ninety degrees to release the
          locksprings, and then it becomes an operating handle that you slide
          sideways to release two hasps, one on either side of the keyhole.

          Tre Trykare's book on the Vikings has a three-part drawing showing this
          lock mechanism in operation. It's very clear, except that the layout
          people screwed up badly. The illo doesn't match the description at all,
          and we were massively confused until we realized the pics were inside out
          and upside down. As long as you keep in mind that you are standing on
          your head inside the box, it all makes perfect sense! I've made several
          copies of that lock, and am planning another for a big tool chest I'm
          building.

          The same book shows one of the sliding-key padlocks, which I've also copied.

          I have documentation on a Persian lock that uses a screw mechanism for a
          "ward"; you have to insert a threaded key and give it several turns before
          it engages the actual lock mechanism. Obviously, you can use different
          pitches of left or right hand thread for a variety of keys. The thread is
          square type, apparently made by bending a small square iron rod double,
          wrapping it hot around a mandrel to get a doubled helix, and then cutting
          the two apart. One helix is forge-brazed to a rod the size of the mandrel
          to make a key, the other is brazed into a tube or bored hole and becomes a
          spiral ward for the lock. (A heavier version of this was used to make
          metal threads for the first vises; it's about the only way I know to make
          heavy square threads without a metal lathe. The method was still used by
          blacksmiths in this country to rebuild worn-out vises in the 19th
          Century.)

          Let me know what period interests you, and I'll see if I can dig up some
          references that are relevant.
        • Michael Scherrer
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 21, 2013
            Thank you for the ISBN#.
            Ran it thru Amazon UK, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble.
            All came back as out of print no copies...
            Any where else I should try?

            Thomas

            To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
            From: gloerke@...
            Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 20:03:41 +0000

            Exactly, that is the book!

            I have been to these Luneburger convents during the last years and all these chests are very impressive to see - and not what you want to take with you to re-enactment camps, far too heavy. These convents are a treasure trove for any kind of medieval stuff, including all sorts of furniture - not only chests.

            Anyway, the book mostly concerns the hutch type chests, but also earlier and later types are shown and compared to similar medieval chests found elsewhere.

            Marijn

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Laura Iseman <laurai@...> wrote:

            > Fron the blog I think the one meant is :
            >

            > - von Stülpnagel, K.H. 2000. Die gotischen Truhen der Lüneburger
            > Heideklöster: Entwicklung - Konstruktion - Gestaltung. Stiftung
            > Museumsdorf Cloppenburg, Germany ISBN 978-3923675814. [In German] *A
            > more than complete book on medieval chests and hutches and their
            > construction. Very detailed, many black/white photographs. 380 pages.*
            >
            > *Laura*
            >

            > On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Dave Ordway <dabugler@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > **
            > > I tried to find the book on the blog to no avail. Can someone post more
            > > detailed info on it? An exact title or ISBN would be greatly appreciated.
            > >
            > > Lagerstein

          • Broom
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 21, 2013
              > Diversity of basic lock designs seems to have been greater back then,

              simply because the coarser tolerances gave locksmiths fewer unique keys

              than we can have today. So in order to have unique keys for their

              customers, they utilized many different principles. You see this with

              Viking and medieval Scandinavia, where they used primitive tumbler locks

              (mostly made of wood) on house doors, sliding-key padlocks (much like ones

              still made in China and India today), and those cool chest locks where you

              stick a key in the middle, turn it ninety degrees to release the

              locksprings, and then it becomes an operating handle that you slide

              sideways to release two hasps, one on either side of the keyhole.

              Possibly, but don't be quick to assign reasons to things. There may have been other factors at play. Perhaps the door locksmiths came from different backgrounds - by the late Middle Ages, river boats were constructed entirely differently from seagoing vessels, and two separate guilds addressed these industries.

              Or perhaps some other reason we haven't thought of. :)

              ' |   Broom        IAmBroom @ gmail . com
              ' |   cellphone:             412-389-1997
              ' |   923 Haslage Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
              '\|/  "Discere et docere", which means:
              '/|\  "True Fact: President Harry S Truman's full middle name is
              //|\\ 'S'."
            • Thylacine

                Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 20:03:41 +0000

                Exactly, that is the book!

                I have been to these Luneburger convents during the last years and all these chests are very impressive to see - and not what you want to take with you to re-enactment camps, far too heavy. These convents are a treasure trove for any kind of medieval stuff, including all sorts of furniture - not only chests.

                Anyway, the book mostly concerns the hutch type chests, but also earlier and later types are shown and compared to similar medieval chests found elsewhere.

                Marijn

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Laura Iseman <laurai@...> wrote:

                > Fron the blog I think the one meant is :
                >

                > - von Stülpnagel, K.H. 2000. Die gotischen Truhen der Lüneburger
                > Heideklöster: Entwicklung - Konstruktion - Gestaltung. Stiftung
                > Museumsdorf Cloppenburg, Germany ISBN 978-3923675814. [In German] *A
                > more than complete book on medieval chests and hutches and their
                > construction. Very detailed, many black/white photographs. 380 pages.*
                >
                > *Laura*
                >

                > On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Dave Ordway <dabugler@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > **
                > > I tried to find the book on the blog to no avail. Can someone post more
                > > detailed info on it? An exact title or ISBN would be greatly appreciated.
                > >
                > > Lagerstein

              • gloerke
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 23, 2013
                  I bought mine with: Kurt Gotz, an online bookseller from germany specializing in art history books. Perhaps he still has some copies left.
                  In May this year there were still several available in the Oldenburger Freilichtmuseum in Germany (visiting on my way to the luneburger moor convents).
                  Otherwise try abebooks.com (or abebooks.de)

                  good luck, marijn

                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Michael Scherrer <lordthomas@...> wrote:

                  > Thank you for the ISBN#.
                  >
                  > Ran it thru Amazon UK, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble.
                  >
                  > All came back as out of print no copies...
                  >
                  > Any where else I should try?
                  >

                  > Thomas
                  >

                  > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: gloerke@...
                  > Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 20:03:41 +0000
                  > Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Re: box locks
                  >

                  > Exactly, that is the book!
                  >
                  > I have been to these Luneburger convents during the last years and all these chests are very impressive to see - and not what you want to take with you to re-enactment camps, far too heavy. These convents are a treasure trove for any kind of medieval stuff, including all sorts of furniture - not only chests.
                  >
                  > Anyway, the book mostly concerns the hutch type chests, but also earlier and later types are shown and compared to similar medieval chests found elsewhere.
                  >
                  > Marijn
                  >
                  > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Laura Iseman <laurai@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Fron the blog I think the one meant is :
                  > >

                  > > - von Stülpnagel, K.H. 2000. Die gotischen Truhen der Lüneburger
                  > > Heideklöster: Entwicklung - Konstruktion - Gestaltung. Stiftung
                  > > Museumsdorf Cloppenburg, Germany ISBN 978-3923675814. [In German] *A
                  > > more than complete book on medieval chests and hutches and their
                  > > construction. Very detailed, many black/white photographs. 380 pages.*
                  > >
                  > > *Laura*
                  > >

                  > > On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Dave Ordway <dabugler@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > **
                  > > >

                  > > > **
                  > > > I tried to find the book on the blog to no avail. Can someone post more
                  > > > detailed info on it? An exact title or ISBN would be greatly appreciated.
                  > > >
                  > > > Lagerstein

                • gloerke
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 23, 2013
                    Damn, I made a mistake. It is freilichtmuseum cloppenburg, http://www.museumsdorf.de/

                    sorry, marijn

                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "gloerke" <gloerke@...> wrote:

                    > I bought mine with: Kurt Gotz, an online bookseller from germany specializing in art history books. Perhaps he still has some copies left.
                    > In May this year there were still several available in the Oldenburger Freilichtmuseum in Germany (visiting on my way to the luneburger moor convents).
                    > Otherwise try abebooks.com (or abebooks.de)
                    >
                    > good luck, marijn
                    >
                    > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Michael Scherrer <lordthomas@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thank you for the ISBN#.
                    > >
                    > > Ran it thru Amazon UK, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble.
                    > >
                    > > All came back as out of print no copies...
                    > >
                    > > Any where else I should try?
                    > >

                    > > Thomas
                    > >

                    > > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                    > > From: gloerke@
                    > > Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 20:03:41 +0000
                    > > Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Re: box locks
                    > >

                    > > Exactly, that is the book!
                    > >
                    > > I have been to these Luneburger convents during the last years and all these chests are very impressive to see - and not what you want to take with you to re-enactment camps, far too heavy. These convents are a treasure trove for any kind of medieval stuff, including all sorts of furniture - not only chests.
                    > >
                    > > Anyway, the book mostly concerns the hutch type chests, but also earlier and later types are shown and compared to similar medieval chests found elsewhere.
                    > >
                    > > Marijn
                    > >
                    > > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Laura Iseman <laurai@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Fron the blog I think the one meant is :
                    > > >

                    > > > - von Stülpnagel, K.H. 2000. Die gotischen Truhen der Lüneburger
                    > > > Heideklöster: Entwicklung - Konstruktion - Gestaltung. Stiftung
                    > > > Museumsdorf Cloppenburg, Germany ISBN 978-3923675814. [In German] *A
                    > > > more than complete book on medieval chests and hutches and their
                    > > > construction. Very detailed, many black/white photographs. 380 pages.*
                    > > >
                    > > > *Laura*

                  • Julian Wilson
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 24, 2013
                      Gentles all,
                       I've come late to this discussion, having just spent the last two weeks away from my PC,  - instead camping late-15th century-style at Raglan Castle in S. Wales.

                      I'm a Master Carpenter & Joiner.
                      I've occasionally made replica-medieval chests and coffers for Re-enactors as a pleasant and challenging change from my usual commercial housing-fit-out work.
                      I've eventually been able to find Manufacturers who produce replica-mediveal strapwork, hinges, and handles for such chests. [I've even found a UK source for rosehead cut nails to use in fixing such ironwork].
                      But so far I've been unable to find any manufacturing locksmith  who offers replica-appearance* chest and coffer box-locks and padlocks. [*By this I mean that the exposed exteriors - hasps, staples, and padlocks; - hasps and/or only faceplates,  -  of such locks should look vaguely medieval, but the "works" can be modern.]
                       So if anyone can send me contact details for such a niche-market  Manufacturing Locksmith - or even their Retail Sales Agents, I'll be very grateful.
                       Matthewe

                    • D. Young
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 24, 2013
                        Its very important to note that the hardware: nails, hinges, straps, and lock.....represent a tremendous amount of time that we dont often account for.....particularly as some of these things are custom oriented to the size of the box.

                        So...want accuracy....might have to pay for it.

                        Rather like using wide oak lumber vs 2.5 inch oak flooring....

                        food for thought.   Accuracy = time= more money= investment

                             Custom Commissions Welcome....!

                        www.partsandtechnical.com

                        To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 24, 2013
                          Thank you, Mr. Young.
                          Most of my clients so far, for medievally-themed chests and coffers - have wanted to pass the "3-Foot Rule" but haven't demanded absolute historical-replica accuracy.
                          I have found quite a large selection of "blackwork" hinges, corner protections, and strapwork available off-the-shelf; - and if I had to do so, I could even make them myself though it's not a Craft I have much reason to exercise.
                          But chest locks which will pass the 3-Foot Rule - even with modern mechanisms inside or behind a period case/faceplate - none of the Manufacurers from whom I could by a wide range of such period hinges /strapwork - also offer the extra lock-accessory in their online Catalogues. And no-one seems to offer any replica-"period" padlocks dating to before 1600AD. I've spent hours searching online without positive results - or I wouldn't be asking the question in this Forum.
                          I'm grateful for your early response, naytheless.
                          Matthewe

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 25, 2013
                            The closest thing I have seen on-line lately are the "restorer's" padlocks being sold by Van Dyke's in the US.
                            http://www.vandykes.com/

                            They have some 'heart shaped' keyed padlocks which are arguably 1600's or so - similar to the triangular locks found in some of the Dutch wrecks on the Western Australian coast.

                            http://www.vandykes.com/product.aspx?p=204934&green=95C2577F-3A8A-5C46-A843-2A18EA9873D5

                            and 'screw' key padlocks
                            http://www.vandykes.com/product.aspx?p=207390&green=95C2577F-3A8A-5C46-A843-2A18EA9873D5

                            Also some fairly chunky padlock hasps as well as the 'usual' fake Spanish/Mexican sheet metal hasps.
                            http://www.vandykes.com/product.aspx?p=203535&green=95C2577F-3A8A-5C46-A843-2A18EA9873D5
                            http://www.vandykes.com/spear-point-black-iron-hasp/p/204981/

                            I think Vandykes buy a lot of their hardware by the pallet as they have 'new' items all the time, but when they sell out of something interesting it just disppears, never to return.

                            I have seen the odd small 'Viking' padlock turn up with merchants at SCA events which seem to be coming from Eastern Europe, and there is a fellow in New Zealand who is making very nice large & fancy Viking/Anglo-Saxon padlocks but they run $80-$100 IIRC.

                            regards
                            Brusi of Orkney

                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 26, 2013
                              I hear ya Matthewe

                              Hence the reason Im edging closer to making some.

                              To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 26, 2013

                                The problem with either locks or any period mechanism or tool is that you really need to understand its workings in order to maintain it, and the time involved is generally cost prohibitive.  I’ll probably never sell a 13thc barrel lock because it takes an incredible about of tedious casting, filing and fitting of small parts if you want to do it right ($$$) and if something goes wrong or gets jammed in use either through user-error or mechanical failure (lets face it, I/we don’t make these for a living), then I have a disgruntled customer (although I’ve never had a problem with mine yet).  If someone produces stuff like this commercially, then they’re not generally going to look properly medieval, and its painful to see commercial hardware on a nice handmade period piece.  All that to say you’re better off learning to make ur own, or coming to a trade agreement.

                                Gratuitous showing off:

                                http://personal.evangel.edu/hallh/web/medievalstuff/barrellock.jpg

                                http://personal.evangel.edu/hallh/web/medievalstuff/barrellock2.jpg

                                I would teach a class on making these but the odds of someone(s) showing up with enough skills to complete it without 2 hours of 1-on-1 contact are fairly slim.  I’m happy if 1 in 10 actually know how to use a file (no offense to my wonderful students).  I wish sometimes I could do more than entry-level classes, which is another discussion altogether.

                                Guillaume

                                To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com