Re: Antique hand and moulding planes

  • gloerke
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 19, 2013
      Hi Jim,

      I do 14th century woodworking as well and have made a lot of tools myself (i.e. the woodwork), including 4 medieval style planes based on period illustrations (miniatures, frescos). The metal parts I use are either custom made by a blacksmith or recycled from old tools. What kind of period tools have you made? Can you show some examples to us?

      Examples of tools from my medieval toolchest can be found on my blog.

      greetings Marijn / st. thomasguild

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "trinityforge" <jimkknives@...> wrote:

      > First hello thank you for letting me join your group, this is a little bit about me and what I like to do.
      >
      > First off my name is Jim and I am a period blacksmith amongst other things. I also do woodworking and I appreciate the finer art of hand making my own tools. My current project is to make a series of wood working tools based on the Mastermyr project: http://netlabs.net/~osan/Mastermyr/
      >
      > If you guys are interested in learning about making period tooling I would be more that willing to swap information for information or even doing classes as I have a few portable forges.
      >
      > Again, thank you for letting me join your group and I look forward to great learning.
      >
      > HL James the Smith
      >
      > Jim Kotsonis

    • James Kotsonis
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 21, 2013
        I am sorry, that I have not answered your questions about period tooling.  I have had a death in the family and when I return to Wisconsin, I will post the pictures I have and the projects that I am currently working on.

        James
      • Hall, Hayward
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 24, 2013
          Cool. I would challenge you to be the first blacksmith to put the handles on the Mastermyr scorp (and other "drawknives") correctly instead of the conjectural drawing of the non-woodworking archaeologist. :) It's funny how everyone copies that wholesale without thinking about it.

          Guillaume

          ------------------------------------
        • conradh@...
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 24, 2013
            > Cool. I would challenge you to be the first blacksmith to put the handles
            > on the Mastermyr scorp (and other "drawknives") correctly instead of the
            > conjectural drawing of the non-woodworking archaeologist. :) It's funny
            > how everyone copies that wholesale without thinking about it.
            >
            > Guillaume

            You mean the artist who doesn't seem to know a scorp from a spokeshave? :-)

            That's not the only issue with Mastermyr tool handles. Everybody
            describes that chest as a toolbox, as if it was full of usable tools that
            the owner would dig into when he wanted to hew a beam or bore a hole.
            Someone checked it out and found that if those tool heads were all
            restored with reasonable wooden handles, they wouldn't begin to fit in the
            box. Everyone had assumed that the wooden handles had been there and had
            rotted away--and apparently never asked why the bog environment would have
            rotted the tool handles and left the box around them untouched!

            Rural Scandinavian smiths were itinerant in those days; instead of a smith
            having a shop on his farm and the neighbors coming there to get work done,
            apparently the smith would travel from neighbor to neighbor in the slack
            season, carrying his hand tools and using forge, bellows and stone anvil
            that each farm kept for the purpose. The Mastermyr box has always been
            interpreted as the working toolbox of such a smith, lost while crossing
            the lake that later filled in with peat to become the Mastermyr
            meadow/field.

            But there's all kinds of other metal junk in that box. Also, the owner
            had locks inside, but the lock on the box itself seems to have been long
            broken, and left unrepaired; instead a length of chain had simply been
            wrapped around the box to hold the lid closed. Some archaeologists have
            also suggested that some of the holes in the box were there when it was
            lost, not just gouged out by the plow point that snagged it out of the
            ground.

            As a working smith, I can testify to the efficiency of keeping projects
            around for times you only have a single paying piece you're working on. I
            have several buckets of such next to my forge right now; they provide
            items that can be heating while the first piece is being hammered or filed
            or bent. My professional opinion is that the Mastermyr chest was not a
            smith's working toolbox at all; but a smith's project box/scrap pile.

            There were no hardware stores back then. The smith, whether at home or on
            the road, _was_ the hardware source. And iron was scarce and expensive;
            in every preindustrial culture that worked iron, smiths are described as
            always taking iron in trade. Worn-out or broken items, if not repaired
            directly, would become the raw material for something else, and the smith
            would allow some credit for the metal brought in when the new item was
            priced, just as is done with a car trade-in today. So a smith would trade
            in scrap as well as make new items and do repairs; and a stash of tools
            with broken handles might be a fine shortcut the next time a customer
            wanted an axe or hammer. No heavy forging--just dress the working
            surfaces, carve a handle and fit it, and the customer has a "new" tool, or
            good as new. I do this today, and every general blacksmith with a walk-in
            trade has done it too.

            If you have a permanent shop, there is no end to how much stuff can pile
            up; look at any smithy today for an example! But an itinerant smith would
            have to choose; the Mastermyr box looks to me like a well-chosen
            assortment of readily restorable tools that could plausibly be in
            occasional demand in a neighborhood of small farmer/handymen. This
            explains very well why a smith with the files and hacksaw for
            locksmithing, who carried locks around, had a long-broken lock on his own
            "toolbox". Or why he bothered carrying a bunch of unhandled tool heads in
            the way of his working tool set!

            So if Mastermyr is not a toolbox, but an itinerant scrap and
            get-to-it-someday collection that includes tools without handles, one
            wonders what became of the _other_ box. The one on the other side of the
            packhorse when it fell through the ice or suffered a harness breakage.
            Did the real toolbox get recovered and make it home? Or is it still down
            there in the peat, sunk just enough deeper that the metal detectors
            deployed by the researchers haven't found it yet?

            Ulfhedinn
          • Jerry Harder
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 25, 2013
              I had wondered it it had been stolen (because of the broken locks and hole) and the thief dumped it when pursued.  I like your ideas better though. Why no handles?

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 29, 2013
                > I had wondered it it had been stolen (because of the broken locks and
                > hole) and the thief dumped it when pursued. I like your ideas better
                > though. Why no handles?

                Why no handles on the box? No idea. Why no handles on the tools inside?
                That's what got me thinking that they were obtained that way; tool heads
                with missing or broken-off handles, taken by the box owner in trade for
                some other repair job or finished piece. I have hundreds of pounds of old
                tool heads in my scrap pile, but iron is much cheaper these days and I
                don't have to carry them all around with me. But every year I clean up a
                few of them and make new handles for customers, or teach a student how to
                do it for their own collection. A traveling smith would find a "scrap
                pile" equally useful, but would be limited in how much he could carry
                around with him.

                Ulfhedinn