Re: [MedievalSawdust] Box jounts

  • Jerry Harder
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 13, 2013
      Im not convinced.  I think the front panel may have the pins and the sides have the dovetails.  The view of the side is not really clear enough to tell.

      n 8/11/2013 12:39 PM, Vels inn Viggladi wrote:

      Serendipitously, I was doing a bit of digging on Cassone just now and came across this : http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O81200/cassone-unknown/
      Enlarge the first image and the box joint is ridiculously evident.
      The piece is from Tuscany, circa 1430-1460. It's a good sized chest.

      Unrelated to your needs, I feel compelled to point out that what the English call "Poplar" is what those in the States would call "Popple" or "Cottonwood."

      Vels

      > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      > From: geraldgoodwine@...
      > Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 02:13:11 -0500
      > Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Box jounts
      >
      > I didn't get much of a response so I am assuming there is little if any
      > evidence but I'll try again. Does anyone know of any examples of the
      > medieval use of finger joints also called box or knuckle joints.

      > <*> Your email settings:
      > Individual Email | Traditional
      >
      > <*> To change settings online go to:
      > (Yahoo! ID required)
      >
      > <*> To change settings via email:
      > medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com
      > medievalsawdust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • David
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 13, 2013
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Harder <geraldgoodwine@...> wrote:

        > That's what I am finding but it had nothing to do with glue. I have
        > been using medieval glue for years and they work fine.

        Could you give me some direction on making medieval glues? I have Cennini's milk glue recipe. I would like to try to make some other glues and strength test them.
        Tristan
      • Jerry Harder
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 13, 2013
        The following attachment should help