Pennsic Classes

  • David
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 8, 2013
      The one hour format in a small tent is not very good for a lot of classes, including woodworking. Classes in camps can work out a lot better. The first cheese making class I attended was in a tent, and there was not enough time or space to work it right. I met the teacher in the market that Saturday and invited her to teach the class in my camp the next year. she was very excited, and we did another class that Monday, and even with the last minute getting on the schedule we had a full class. Thanks to Lydia teaching me, I became a cheese maker and teach a class in camp every Pennsic; and now Artisans Row has been introduced, and Lydia runs the cheese day there.
      My wife has offered classes in wood cuts in camp; time consuming and can get a bit messy, so camp is perfect for this.
      A few years ago we had an impromptu five board box workshop because my son needed a box, and so everybody built one.
      Classes in camp are great, and they also have the advantage that the people who attend are there by intent, not idling time between classes.
      The downsides are these: the camp needs to be accessible. The camp needs to be large enough to accommodate a class full of people without crowding out your camp mates. It needs to have shade and seating. You may need to add extra space for equipment, e.g. kiln, earth oven, smoke house, lathe, forge.
      My camp has run classes regularly, as well as hosting a regular large party, and we have talked about just becoming a teaching camp.
      If any of you have wanted to teach a class in woodworking, and need a camp to set it up in, email me privately about it. I was not able to attend Pennsic this year, and next year is looking dicey; but when I come back we may go for a teaching camp with forge, lathe, workbenches, etc.
      This may be more workable for all of us, if each one is just responsible to bring one piece of equipment and we all set it up together. There's a lot of talent that comes to Pennsic, and maybe this idea could give that talent a venue.
      Tristan
    • Ralph
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 8, 2013
        I can both agree and disagree....

        Fixed, one hour classes don't work. Unless you are allowed to "string them together"

        While I can see some of your argument for "classes in camp" the big (and it's a BIG one) the problem in FINDING the camp in question and getting there. While having a fixed class location means everyone knows where to go.

        Of course there is the issue of tent size... This past AnTir-West my wife organized the classes, one of the tents she was borrowing she was told was "about 20 by 30 ft, so she planned on some of the larger functions there... Turned out the tent was actually 12 by 18 ft. Needless to say she had some scrambling to do.

        Ralg
        AnTir