RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Mary Rose Planes

  • Hall, Hayward
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 21, 2013

      Yes, thank you.  I’m not sure I understand the “double front and single rear wedge” though.

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 23, 2013

          Since my copy of Before the Mast has come in, I’ve now read the text on those and they were found in association with archery/projectile supplies and were conjecturally used to round shafts.  Whether of arrows or something larger they didn’t say or I don’t recall.  I would agree “thumb plane” isn’t really a proper name.

          Its rather disappointing that they list some 22 planes but only show  illustrations of a fraction of them.  I realize the amount of material is quite large, but I wish they had in many cases shown more artifacts.  Breaking the book(s) in to several books, each dedicated to a particular artifact type in detail like some of the BAS publications on York would have been much better.

          I am pretty amazed how the range of planes illustrated are nearly identical to 19th century examples.  It’s quite clear that once the form was established, it didn’t really change.

          I think the extra wedges were there in the front to tighten up a worn mouth.

          Guillaume