Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: carving a trough?

  • Jim Hart
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 20, 2013
      Make saw cuts along the groove and then chisel out the waste.... smooth it down with chisels, gouges, rasps, and finally scrapers or sandpaper....

      Like this but smaller....

      On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 9:49 PM, karincorbin <karincorbin@...> wrote:

      sounds like a job for a set of metal rollers rather than a trough.

      --
      Jim Hart
        Conal OhAirt

    • karincorbin
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 24, 2013
        They did have curved bottom planes which would have done a nice job of dressing out the bottom. And they did have curved blade planes. Of course you don't have either one.....

        But if you are going to do it with modern tools of which you have only the basics then I would take a series of passes with a circular saw lowering the blade to the various depths needed from side to side. Then I would remove the excess waste with a chisel or curved gouge. Final cleanup with a curved sanding block to smooth it all out. You could cut the radius of the sanding block surface with a scroll saw, fret saw, jig saw, etc.

        You will want to create a pattern of the full radius from a piece of plywood so you can check your groove to see if it is consistent.