RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Mary Rose Planes

  • Hall, Hayward
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 15 1:48 PM
      I wouldn't argue that too much either way without more evidence, but on the back one (top one) if you enlarge the photo, that black dot appears to be more of a stain than a peg. I know some planes were pegged to hold the wedge and others had an integral cheek piece.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 20 9:56 PM
        The 2 planes are both Moulding thumb planes made from box wood. They have deep hollows running along the sole ..not visible in the photo.

        The top one is 135mm long. The body is 32mm wide at the throat, and about 24mm wide at both the toe and heel. The book describes it as having double front and single rear wedges. The plane in the photo is facing to the left (the knob-looking end is the back). The blade angle looks steep, about 65 degrees.

        The bottom one is 142mm long and 24mm wide.

        Hope this helps,
        Ed

      • Hall, Hayward
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 21 7:06 PM

          Yes, thank you.  I’m not sure I understand the “double front and single rear wedge” though.

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 23, 2013

              Since my copy of Before the Mast has come in, I’ve now read the text on those and they were found in association with archery/projectile supplies and were conjecturally used to round shafts.  Whether of arrows or something larger they didn’t say or I don’t recall.  I would agree “thumb plane” isn’t really a proper name.

              Its rather disappointing that they list some 22 planes but only show  illustrations of a fraction of them.  I realize the amount of material is quite large, but I wish they had in many cases shown more artifacts.  Breaking the book(s) in to several books, each dedicated to a particular artifact type in detail like some of the BAS publications on York would have been much better.

              I am pretty amazed how the range of planes illustrated are nearly identical to 19th century examples.  It’s quite clear that once the form was established, it didn’t really change.

              I think the extra wedges were there in the front to tighten up a worn mouth.

              Guillaume