Re: [MedievalSawdust] Reprint of 'Before the Mast'

  • Julian Wilson
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 2, 2013
      Greetings to the List.
      Yes, this is excellent news; and I add my recommendation to that of Lord Brusi.
      Over 10 years ago I was a founder member of a late 15th C. re-enactment group in "old" Jersey, appearing for the local Museum Service at Jersey's medieval castle of Mont Orgeuil.
      Our Group's  remit from the Island's Museum Service was "everything you display to the visiting-Public at the castle must be documentable in-period".
      Since all of the Group were new to re-enacting, - as you might imagine, that Museum Service instruction gave us problems of research, being so far  from the UK's major Museums and Libraries where we might view original items/pictures/etc.
      My lady and I started building our period encampment from nothing in 2003. I bought "Before The Mast"  after seeing it during a visit to the "Mary Rose Museum" in Portsmouth - and I have found it to be a very great help and inspiration ever since.
      The book is full of very precise information about individual salvaged artefacts; organised by groups of the same.
      Artefacts are clearly shown in elevations, plans and sections, and dimensioned as well, making the production of replicas much easier. "Working drawings", you could call them.
      Especially  concerning ceramics, pewter, and wooden tableware; and also the recovered chests.
      For Archers, the section on the salvaged bows and arrows is exhaustive and fascinating.
      For the cooking enthusiasts, there is info about the remains of plant and organic materials, leading to a better understanding of the foods available aboard when the galleon sank.
      . Recovered clothing is similarly minutely examined and documented.
      The reports of the equipment for the Ship's Carpenter and the Barber-Surgeon are deeply detailed, and will be very helpful to anyone doing experimental Historical research through re-creating either Speciality..

       The book likely to be an expensive purchase unless the Mary Rose Trust authorises a paperback edition, but as a source book for inspiration - if your re-creationist Personas are anywhere from 1400 to 1550, and you are just starting to equip yourself, - you'll find access to a copy of "Before The Mast" invaluable.
      Julian Wilson,
       "old" Jersey, U.K.
      [aka in the SCA as Matthewe Baker]

      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 4, 2013
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, bsrlee <bsrlee2@...> wrote:

        > I did a bit of digging around the Oxbow site. The Pre-order discount is
        > 20% - 48 pounds instead of 60.
        >
        > Also, the new edition is being bound as 2 parts like 'Weapons of Warre',
        > which makes it much easier to handle and should contribute to the
        > longevity of the book, my old one volume copy is getting somewhat loose
        > in the binding.

        Actually everyone I know, that has a copy, reports the copy is falling apart(mine included). Really bad binding for a book that wasn't cheap.

        Ralg
        AnTir