RE: [MedievalSawdust] Sawa

  • Hall, Hayward
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2013

      For a small one see this:

      http://personal.evangel.edu/hallh/web/medievalstuff/ImageDisp.asp?ImageTypeID=2&img=320

      Using a saws-all blade works great, unless you are really wanting to forge a blade from scratch.   I would suggest something a little finer that 18tpi OR recut the teeth to be slightly less aggressive, as it’s a little difficult to get started.  Its great though because you’ll never wear it out and it will cut metal, wood, bone, etc.

      For larger saws more indicative of woodworking, I have taken a non-collectable older hand saw and simply modified the profile of the blade to look “more medieval” and added a straight handle (like you said).  It is actually comfortable to use and I find myself picking it up frequently and it looks nice at events.  I made a leather scabbard for it to keep the teeth from getting dinged up in the box.  The blade can be cut using an angle grinder.   You don’t have to worry too much about taking the temper out of the back side.  You can usually find suitable saws at  flea market for a few dollars.

      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Sawa

      I am looking to put together a Viking Age woodworkers toolbox. Most modern tools (hammers, chisles, files & rasps) arre pretty much unchanged. saws have changes a little. Saws from the Mastermyr chest look like sax knives with teeth.

      Does anyone know where such could be purchased?

      I have thought of buying regular new saws and cutting the blades to shape, but not sure if this would work.

      Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

      Geirfold Kolbeinson
      Northshield

    • Geirfold
      Message 2 of 9 , May 31, 2013
        Thanks. Might work well for use on small items. I think I'll have to look for some of the older saws.

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Hall, Hayward" <hallh@...> wrote:

        > For a small one see this:
        >
        > http://personal.evangel.edu/hallh/web/medievalstuff/ImageDisp.asp?ImageTypeID=2&img=320
        >
        > Using a saws-all blade works great, unless you are really wanting to forge a blade from scratch. I would suggest something a little finer that 18tpi OR recut the teeth to be slightly less aggressive, as it's a little difficult to get started. Its great though because you'll never wear it out and it will cut metal, wood, bone, etc.
        >
        > For larger saws more indicative of woodworking, I have taken a non-collectable older hand saw and simply modified the profile of the blade to look "more medieval" and added a straight handle (like you said). It is actually comfortable to use and I find myself picking it up frequently and it looks nice at events. I made a leather scabbard for it to keep the teeth from getting dinged up in the box. The blade can be cut using an angle grinder. You don't have to worry too much about taking the temper out of the back side. You can usually find suitable saws at flea market for a few dollars.
        >

        > Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Sawa
        >
        > I am looking to put together a Viking Age woodworkers toolbox. Most modern tools (hammers, chisles, files & rasps) arre pretty much unchanged. saws have changes a little. Saws from the Mastermyr chest look like sax knives with teeth.
        >
        > Does anyone know where such could be purchased?
        >
        > I have thought of buying regular new saws and cutting the blades to shape, but not sure if this would work.
        >
        > Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.
        >
        > Geirfold Kolbeinson
        > Northshield

      • K
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 30, 2013
          I am going to try taking an old 2 man crosscut saw and cutting appropriately shaped saw blades from it.