RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: VA whalebone ironing board

  • Vels inn Viggladi
    Message 1 of 32 , May 28 9:44 AM

      > Oh gravy. Vels, I just realised it is you. I can post a picture of mine on
      > LJ*, if you'd like to see it.
      >
      > Hrothny
      > *And you should update there, dude! I miss reading your blog!

      That'd be interesting. I've been following this thread wondering how similar this whalebone smoothing board is to a planche a calandrer (plank and cyclinder). Most of the extants of those are 17th to 19th century, though there are mentions of them in inventories to the 15th and suggestions they come from Scandinavia much earlier.

      Vels
    • Ralph
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 4, 2013
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, bsrlee <bsrlee2@...> wrote:

        > I did a bit of digging around the Oxbow site. The Pre-order discount is
        > 20% - 48 pounds instead of 60.
        >
        > Also, the new edition is being bound as 2 parts like 'Weapons of Warre',
        > which makes it much easier to handle and should contribute to the
        > longevity of the book, my old one volume copy is getting somewhat loose
        > in the binding.

        Actually everyone I know, that has a copy, reports the copy is falling apart(mine included). Really bad binding for a book that wasn't cheap.

        Ralg
        AnTir