RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: VA whalebone ironing board

  • Terri Morgan
    Message 1 of 32 , May 23, 2013
      > Hrothney, does the smoother leave marks in the board?

      Not that I've seen - but then, I do not heat my smoother, as I think you
      wrote on FB that your folks do.

      > I use basswood for making scrolls and although classified
      > as a hardwood, I have always found it to be rather soft
      > and easily marred.

      I'd always thought so too but my board is very sturdy and exceedingly
      smooth, not 'fuzzy' like so much of the basswood I've seen available in
      local stores. I don't know if that is because it was harvested in eastern
      Europe (different type of linden?) or what. The carving on the top is still
      sharp and unmarred after so long of packing & toting, too.

      Oh gravy. Vels, I just realised it is you. I can post a picture of mine on
      LJ*, if you'd like to see it.

      Hrothny
      *And you should update there, dude! I miss reading your blog!
    • Ralph
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 4, 2013
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, bsrlee <bsrlee2@...> wrote:

        > I did a bit of digging around the Oxbow site. The Pre-order discount is
        > 20% - 48 pounds instead of 60.
        >
        > Also, the new edition is being bound as 2 parts like 'Weapons of Warre',
        > which makes it much easier to handle and should contribute to the
        > longevity of the book, my old one volume copy is getting somewhat loose
        > in the binding.

        Actually everyone I know, that has a copy, reports the copy is falling apart(mine included). Really bad binding for a book that wasn't cheap.

        Ralg
        AnTir