Re: VA whalebone ironing board

  • Geirfold
    Message 1 of 32 , May 23 5:57 AM
      Thank you, Vels. Hrothney, does the smoother leave marks in the board? I use basswood for making scrolls and although classified as a hardwood, I have always found it to be rather soft and easily marred.

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Vels inn Viggladi <velsthe1@...> wrote:

      > > Thanks. For the Micarta at the proper thickness it is over $60.00. Way too exoensive for me. Where did you get the linden wood?
      > >

      > I'm not Hrothny, but I can tell you that Linden wood is known as Basswood in the US. Pretty common at any hardwood dealer. Genus is Tilia: same as the European "Lindenwood" trees.
      >

      > Vels

    • Ralph
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 4, 2013
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, bsrlee <bsrlee2@...> wrote:

        > I did a bit of digging around the Oxbow site. The Pre-order discount is
        > 20% - 48 pounds instead of 60.
        >
        > Also, the new edition is being bound as 2 parts like 'Weapons of Warre',
        > which makes it much easier to handle and should contribute to the
        > longevity of the book, my old one volume copy is getting somewhat loose
        > in the binding.

        Actually everyone I know, that has a copy, reports the copy is falling apart(mine included). Really bad binding for a book that wasn't cheap.

        Ralg
        AnTir