Re: VA whalebone ironing board

  • Geirfold
    Message 1 of 32 , May 22, 2013
      From what I can figure, any bone that would be of sufficient size is going to be from an animal of which the importation of said bone will be illegal to bring into the US. I though of using moose palm, but here anything of a sufficient size is too expensive for me (around $100.00 per antler). Thus I need to stick to wood.

      The wood needs to be dense enough not to mark with the glass smoothers being used, and a tight straight grain. Color should be between white to a light tan.

      I have had suggestions of beech and hard maple. Anything else?

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Mike King" <the_spanishpeacock@...> wrote:

      > Giraffe bone is pretty wide but I fear not wide enough. The leg bone I
      > have is about 5" at the widest

    • Ralph
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 4, 2013
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, bsrlee <bsrlee2@...> wrote:

        > I did a bit of digging around the Oxbow site. The Pre-order discount is
        > 20% - 48 pounds instead of 60.
        >
        > Also, the new edition is being bound as 2 parts like 'Weapons of Warre',
        > which makes it much easier to handle and should contribute to the
        > longevity of the book, my old one volume copy is getting somewhat loose
        > in the binding.

        Actually everyone I know, that has a copy, reports the copy is falling apart(mine included). Really bad binding for a book that wasn't cheap.

        Ralg
        AnTir