VA whalebone ironing board

  • Geirfold
    Message 1 of 32 , May 21, 2013
      Helsa!

      I have a commission to make some replicas of the Viking Age whalebone ironing bords. Unfortunately for this projecy, whalebone is illegal in the US. Thus my next best option is to make them out of wood. These need to be funcional.

      The question becomes: what would be a good wood that has a long, straight grain that is also a dense wood, white to light tan incolor that would be relatively easy to obtain in the Upper Midwest?

      Geirfold Kolbeinson
    • Ralph
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 4, 2013
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, bsrlee <bsrlee2@...> wrote:

        > I did a bit of digging around the Oxbow site. The Pre-order discount is
        > 20% - 48 pounds instead of 60.
        >
        > Also, the new edition is being bound as 2 parts like 'Weapons of Warre',
        > which makes it much easier to handle and should contribute to the
        > longevity of the book, my old one volume copy is getting somewhat loose
        > in the binding.

        Actually everyone I know, that has a copy, reports the copy is falling apart(mine included). Really bad binding for a book that wasn't cheap.

        Ralg
        AnTir