Re: [MedievalSawdust] Woodworking Safety Day

  • Julian Wilson
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6 3:10 AM
      Jerry,
      etal,
      here's my little contribution to this safety thread.
      Every time I start a day's work in my Workshop, my adrenalin level rockets, and my focus of concentration sharpens to "tunnel-vision".
      I'm frightened-enough of my machines and my manual cutting tools to be super-careful when using any of them.
      I won't say that - in over a half-century as a woodworker, - I've never had an accident from my edged tools, - but when I have cut myself it has been a minor injury, [God be thanked] and mostly because I allowed myself to be distracted by someone or something else. All the usual visitors to my Workshop [including my Bosses] now know enough not to distract me when I'm machining! They just move into my field of vision and wait until I'm done with the Operation I'm engaged upon.
      regards,
      Matthewe Baker

      Message 2 of 9 , May 7 9:22 AM
        I suspect most of us learned a few "lessons" woodworking, since I started making sawdust very young (12 or 13), some lessons came early. Or why my left hand (the one "holding" the wood) has scars from saws, chisels etc, and I made fewer mistakes when I went to power tools in my late teens.

        My wife just started wood-working in the last couple years, so she is taking her "lessons" later in life.

        Ralg
        AnTir
      • K
        Message 3 of 9 , May 18 1:11 PM
          sorry I'm late,
          sharp tools are safer than dull ones (9 stitches to prove it 32 years ago)
          Hide or elevate the sharp tools when the small ones show up (4 yr old w/ an axe... would not be good)never ever cut directly at your hand/arm/leg with anything.
          It is almost impossible to disembowel yourself with a drawknife.. but quite easy to cut your leg, arm or hand with one handles poorly.
          have fun, keep cutting.