RE: [MedievalSawdust] Sawa

  • Vels inn Viggladi
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2013
      There's a decent article about the files and rasps from the Mastermyr at http://baroquepearls.wordpress.com/2013/03/25/what-do-you-call-this-thing-or-deciphering-what-an-archeologist-is-trying-to-describe/
      Seems there is a bit of difference in what is described as compared to what is evidenced.

      Vels

      > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      > From: hammered_shamrock@...
      > Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 15:39:55 +0000
      > Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Sawa
      >
      > I am looking to put together a Viking Age woodworkers toolbox. Most modern tools (hammers, chisles, files & rasps) arre pretty much unchanged. saws have changes a little. Saws from the Mastermyr chest look like sax knives with teeth.
      >
      > Does anyone know where such could be purchased?
      >
      > I have thought of buying regular new saws and cutting the blades to shape, but not sure if this would work.
      >
      > Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.
      >
      > Geirfold Kolbeinson
      > Northshield

    • Jerry Harder

        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2013
          Can't afford to go to Lillies. Thanks though.

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Harder <geraldgoodwine@...> wrote:

          > If you come to lilies talk to me, I made one but too much to discuss
          > right now
          >
          > On 4/30/2013 10:39 AM, Geirfold wrote:
          > >
          > > I am looking to put together a Viking Age woodworkers toolbox. Most
          > > modern tools (hammers, chisles, files & rasps) arre pretty much
          > > unchanged. saws have changes a little. Saws from the Mastermyr chest
          > > look like sax knives with teeth.
          > >
          > > Does anyone know where such could be purchased?
          > >
          > > I have thought of buying regular new saws and cutting the blades to
          > > shape, but not sure if this would work.
          > >
          > > Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.
          > >
          > > Geirfold Kolbeinson
          > > Northshield

        • Hall, Hayward
          Message 4 of 9 , May 31, 2013

            For a small one see this:

            http://personal.evangel.edu/hallh/web/medievalstuff/ImageDisp.asp?ImageTypeID=2&img=320

            Using a saws-all blade works great, unless you are really wanting to forge a blade from scratch.   I would suggest something a little finer that 18tpi OR recut the teeth to be slightly less aggressive, as it’s a little difficult to get started.  Its great though because you’ll never wear it out and it will cut metal, wood, bone, etc.

            For larger saws more indicative of woodworking, I have taken a non-collectable older hand saw and simply modified the profile of the blade to look “more medieval” and added a straight handle (like you said).  It is actually comfortable to use and I find myself picking it up frequently and it looks nice at events.  I made a leather scabbard for it to keep the teeth from getting dinged up in the box.  The blade can be cut using an angle grinder.   You don’t have to worry too much about taking the temper out of the back side.  You can usually find suitable saws at  flea market for a few dollars.

            Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Sawa

            Message 5 of 9 , May 31, 2013
              Thanks. Might work well for use on small items. I think I'll have to look for some of the older saws.

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Hall, Hayward" <hallh@...> wrote:

              > For a small one see this:
              >
              > http://personal.evangel.edu/hallh/web/medievalstuff/ImageDisp.asp?ImageTypeID=2&img=320
              >
              > Using a saws-all blade works great, unless you are really wanting to forge a blade from scratch. I would suggest something a little finer that 18tpi OR recut the teeth to be slightly less aggressive, as it's a little difficult to get started. Its great though because you'll never wear it out and it will cut metal, wood, bone, etc.
              >
              > For larger saws more indicative of woodworking, I have taken a non-collectable older hand saw and simply modified the profile of the blade to look "more medieval" and added a straight handle (like you said). It is actually comfortable to use and I find myself picking it up frequently and it looks nice at events. I made a leather scabbard for it to keep the teeth from getting dinged up in the box. The blade can be cut using an angle grinder. You don't have to worry too much about taking the temper out of the back side. You can usually find suitable saws at flea market for a few dollars.
              >

              > Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Sawa
              >
              > I am looking to put together a Viking Age woodworkers toolbox. Most modern tools (hammers, chisles, files & rasps) arre pretty much unchanged. saws have changes a little. Saws from the Mastermyr chest look like sax knives with teeth.
              >
              > Does anyone know where such could be purchased?
              >
              > I have thought of buying regular new saws and cutting the blades to shape, but not sure if this would work.
              >
              > Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.
              >
              > Geirfold Kolbeinson
              > Northshield

            • K
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 30, 2013
                I am going to try taking an old 2 man crosscut saw and cutting appropriately shaped saw blades from it.