Re: [MedievalSawdust] Sawa

  • James Daily
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2013
      There are a few different saws in the Mastermyr find.  One of them is a hacksaw that pretty much looks like a modern hacksaw, particularly the blade:

      One of them lacks a handle, but the blade profile looks not unlike a modern keyhole saw.  Compare the blade in the find:

      to this Disston keyhole saw:

      or this modern one from ECE:

      Then there's this one from the find, where the handle is still mostly intact.  The blade is somewhat taller:

      That blade profile actually reminds me of some Japanese saws, but of course the teeth would be cut wrong.

      On Apr 30, 2013, at 10:39 AM, "Geirfold" <hammered_shamrock@...> wrote:

      I am looking to put together a Viking Age woodworkers toolbox. Most modern tools (hammers, chisles, files & rasps) arre pretty much unchanged. saws have changes a little. Saws from the Mastermyr chest look like sax knives with teeth.

      Does anyone know where such could be purchased?

      I have thought of buying regular new saws and cutting the blades to shape, but not sure if this would work.

      Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

      Geirfold Kolbeinson
      Northshield

    • Geirfold
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 30, 2013
        Key hole saws are too light, I think, to handle cutting boards. The last link was the type I was refering too in that they look much like a toothed sax knife.

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, James Daily <dailyje@...> wrote:

        > There are a few different saws in the Mastermyr find. One of them is a hacksaw that pretty much looks like a modern hacksaw, particularly the blade:
        >
        > http://netlabs.net/~osan/Mastermyr/36-Hacksaw.jpg
        >
        > One of them lacks a handle, but the blade profile looks not unlike a modern keyhole saw. Compare the blade in the find:
        >
        > http://netlabs.net/~osan/Mastermyr/41-Saw-Blade.jpg
        >
        > to this Disston keyhole saw:
        >
        > http://milwaukeemonastery.blogspot.com/2011/12/disston-key-hole-saw.html
        >
        > or this modern one from ECE:
        >
        > http://www.fine-tools.com/gratsaege.html
        >
        > Then there's this one from the find, where the handle is still mostly intact. The blade is somewhat taller:
        >
        > http://netlabs.net/~osan/Mastermyr/42-Saw.jpg
        >
        > That blade profile actually reminds me of some Japanese saws, but of course the teeth would be cut wrong.
        >

        > On Apr 30, 2013, at 10:39 AM, "Geirfold" <hammered_shamrock@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I am looking to put together a Viking Age woodworkers toolbox. Most modern tools (hammers, chisles, files & rasps) arre pretty much unchanged. saws have changes a little. Saws from the Mastermyr chest look like sax knives with teeth.
        > >
        > > Does anyone know where such could be purchased?
        > >
        > > I have thought of buying regular new saws and cutting the blades to shape, but not sure if this would work.
        > >
        > > Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.
        > >
        > > Geirfold Kolbeinson
        > > Northshield

      • Vels inn Viggladi
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 30, 2013
          There's a decent article about the files and rasps from the Mastermyr at http://baroquepearls.wordpress.com/2013/03/25/what-do-you-call-this-thing-or-deciphering-what-an-archeologist-is-trying-to-describe/
          Seems there is a bit of difference in what is described as compared to what is evidenced.

          Vels

          > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
          > From: hammered_shamrock@...
          > Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 15:39:55 +0000
          > Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Sawa
          >
          > I am looking to put together a Viking Age woodworkers toolbox. Most modern tools (hammers, chisles, files & rasps) arre pretty much unchanged. saws have changes a little. Saws from the Mastermyr chest look like sax knives with teeth.
          >
          > Does anyone know where such could be purchased?
          >
          > I have thought of buying regular new saws and cutting the blades to shape, but not sure if this would work.
          >
          > Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.
          >
          > Geirfold Kolbeinson
          > Northshield

        • Jerry Harder

            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2013
              Can't afford to go to Lillies. Thanks though.

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Harder <geraldgoodwine@...> wrote:

              > If you come to lilies talk to me, I made one but too much to discuss
              > right now
              >
              > On 4/30/2013 10:39 AM, Geirfold wrote:
              > >
              > > I am looking to put together a Viking Age woodworkers toolbox. Most
              > > modern tools (hammers, chisles, files & rasps) arre pretty much
              > > unchanged. saws have changes a little. Saws from the Mastermyr chest
              > > look like sax knives with teeth.
              > >
              > > Does anyone know where such could be purchased?
              > >
              > > I have thought of buying regular new saws and cutting the blades to
              > > shape, but not sure if this would work.
              > >
              > > Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.
              > >
              > > Geirfold Kolbeinson
              > > Northshield

            • Hall, Hayward
              Message 6 of 9 , May 31, 2013

                For a small one see this:

                http://personal.evangel.edu/hallh/web/medievalstuff/ImageDisp.asp?ImageTypeID=2&img=320

                Using a saws-all blade works great, unless you are really wanting to forge a blade from scratch.   I would suggest something a little finer that 18tpi OR recut the teeth to be slightly less aggressive, as it’s a little difficult to get started.  Its great though because you’ll never wear it out and it will cut metal, wood, bone, etc.

                For larger saws more indicative of woodworking, I have taken a non-collectable older hand saw and simply modified the profile of the blade to look “more medieval” and added a straight handle (like you said).  It is actually comfortable to use and I find myself picking it up frequently and it looks nice at events.  I made a leather scabbard for it to keep the teeth from getting dinged up in the box.  The blade can be cut using an angle grinder.   You don’t have to worry too much about taking the temper out of the back side.  You can usually find suitable saws at  flea market for a few dollars.

                Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Sawa

                Message 7 of 9 , May 31, 2013
                  Thanks. Might work well for use on small items. I think I'll have to look for some of the older saws.

                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Hall, Hayward" <hallh@...> wrote:

                  > For a small one see this:
                  >
                  > http://personal.evangel.edu/hallh/web/medievalstuff/ImageDisp.asp?ImageTypeID=2&img=320
                  >
                  > Using a saws-all blade works great, unless you are really wanting to forge a blade from scratch. I would suggest something a little finer that 18tpi OR recut the teeth to be slightly less aggressive, as it's a little difficult to get started. Its great though because you'll never wear it out and it will cut metal, wood, bone, etc.
                  >
                  > For larger saws more indicative of woodworking, I have taken a non-collectable older hand saw and simply modified the profile of the blade to look "more medieval" and added a straight handle (like you said). It is actually comfortable to use and I find myself picking it up frequently and it looks nice at events. I made a leather scabbard for it to keep the teeth from getting dinged up in the box. The blade can be cut using an angle grinder. You don't have to worry too much about taking the temper out of the back side. You can usually find suitable saws at flea market for a few dollars.
                  >

                  > Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Sawa
                  >
                  > I am looking to put together a Viking Age woodworkers toolbox. Most modern tools (hammers, chisles, files & rasps) arre pretty much unchanged. saws have changes a little. Saws from the Mastermyr chest look like sax knives with teeth.
                  >
                  > Does anyone know where such could be purchased?
                  >
                  > I have thought of buying regular new saws and cutting the blades to shape, but not sure if this would work.
                  >
                  > Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.
                  >
                  > Geirfold Kolbeinson
                  > Northshield

                • K
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 30, 2013
                    I am going to try taking an old 2 man crosscut saw and cutting appropriately shaped saw blades from it.