Re: Leather Hinges?

  • Gene Eisele
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 26, 2013
      >>Gimmal hinges are a simple hinge solution we do have extant evidence of,
      >>dating back to at least the 9th century (personal witness). Usually
      they were used for
      >>Dyptics and smaller boxes from that era onward.

      I've seen "Gimmal" or "Snipe" hinges on a lot of large, heavily carved southern German 16th century chests. Definitely not limited to small or inexpensive boxes.

      Friedrich Wilhelm

    • Vels inn Viggladi
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 26, 2013
        >>>Gimmal hinges are a simple hinge solution we do have extant evidence of,
        >>>dating back to at least the 9th century (personal witness). Usually
        they were used for
        >>>Dyptics and smaller boxes from that era onward.
        >
        >I've
        seen "Gimmal" or "Snipe" hinges on a lot of large, heavily carved southern German 16th century >chests. Definitely not limited to small or inexpensive boxes.

        >Friedrich Wilhelm

        Cool! I'd like to see those. Do you have a link or pictures you can share?
        I've used them on chests, but haven't found any examples of them on extant pieces.

        Vels

      • tessa_rat
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 28, 2013
          Vels,

          I've made a folder in the photo's section. It's named Fitz Wilhelm's Photos. I just added a few pics there.

          A caveat though. I didn't have a great camera and getting shots of the back of chest was particularly awkward since they are invariably put against a wall. So, these are overview shots and you re just going to have to take my word about the snipe hinges. At the time, I was struck by how many of the chests used that type of hinge (the great majority).

          I'm working from memory, and some of these may not actually have used snipe hinges, but they are representative.

          I think that it actually make sense on a large chest where a very precise fit won't really make much difference in operation, vs a small casket, or a cabinet door, where it would. (plenty of examples of these latter two types with very fancy hardware from the same period)

          Also note, that all of these chests are roughly the same size (big). I am in one of the pics so you can get an idea of scale from that one. They were clearly semi-permanent pieces of furniture, not traveling suitcases.

          Fritz