Re: Leather Hinges?

  • Geirfold
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 25 12:32 PM
      The link is not working. Do you know the name of the episode. Anything older that 2 years ago just has a name but no number.

      Thanks

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Vels inn Viggladi <velsthe1@...> wrote:

      > I don't think we have any extant or documentary examples of leather hinges on chests or boxes. True, leather doesn't survive well and may have been replaced with metal at any time.
      >
      > There is another solution if you don't want to shell out $25 for a pair of appropriate hinges.
      > Gimmal hinges are a simple hinge solution we do have extant evidence of, dating back to at least the 9th century (personal witness). Usually they were used for Dyptics and smaller boxes from that era onward.
      >
      > This episode of The Woodwright's Shop (http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/2700/2701.html ) shows how to install them.
      >
      > For an inexpensive method of getting gimmals, get four cotter pins from the local hardware store. Shouldn't be more than a two or three dollars for a package of 1/4" pins. Make sure you get them plenty long. I burn off the zinc coating with a torch (outdoors with ventilator, hot metal is hot, safety warnings, etc) and let them cool by air. Then it's a matter of slipping two together at the eyes (may require pliers). Install as per the video and drive on with a very forgiving hinge type.
      >

      > Vels
      >
      > > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      > > From: wchasr@...
      > > Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 15:30:17 +0000
      > > Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Leather Hinges?
      > >
      > > I have a project to complete soon and I have all the materials I need for a basic 6 board (or something) chest. What I do NOT have is any hardware. I've got a few pieces of HEAVY leather that I won at a charity auction at an SCA event a while back. I was wondering if there is documentation of using leather as hinges/hasps on a chest of some sort? A VERY minimal online search turned up nothing specific. A link to an article on the Florigelium (sp?) but I cannot open it on my Windows 8 laptop. I'll need to fire up the Desktop to check that out farther. Any other sources or reccomendations? I'm going to use what I have for this project. I'd just like to make it plausible.
      > >
      > > Thank you folks!
      > >
      > > Valentine Lyme
      > >

      > > ------------------------------------

    • Sir David Vavreck
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 25 12:48 PM
        The link worked for me.

        The episode is Peter and the Box

        The link is not working. Do you know the name of the episode. Anything older that 2 years ago just has a name but no number.

        Thanks

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Vels inn Viggladi <velsthe1@...> wrote:

        > I don't think we have any extant or documentary examples of leather hinges on chests or boxes. True, leather doesn't survive well and may have been replaced with metal at any time.
        >
        > There is another solution if you don't want to shell out $25 for a pair of appropriate hinges.
        > Gimmal hinges are a simple hinge solution we do have extant evidence of, dating back to at least the 9th century (personal witness). Usually they were used for Dyptics and smaller boxes from that era onward.
        >
        > This episode of The Woodwright's Shop (http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/2700/2701.html ) shows how to install them.
        >
        > For an inexpensive method of getting gimmals, get four cotter pins from the local hardware store. Shouldn't be more than a two or three dollars for a package of 1/4" pins. Make sure you get them plenty long. I burn off the zinc coating with a torch (outdoors with ventilator, hot metal is hot, safety warnings, etc) and let them cool by air. Then it's a matter of slipping two together at the eyes (may require pliers). Install as per the video and drive on with a very forgiving hinge type.
        >

        > Vels
        >
        > > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        > > From: wchasr@...
        > > Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 15:30:17 +0000
        > > Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Leather Hinges?
        > >
        > > I have a project to complete soon and I have all the materials I need for a basic 6 board (or something) chest. What I do NOT have is any hardware. I've got a few pieces of HEAVY leather that I won at a charity auction at an SCA event a while back. I was wondering if there is documentation of using leather as hinges/hasps on a chest of some sort? A VERY minimal online search turned up nothing specific. A link to an article on the Florigelium (sp?) but I cannot open it on my Windows 8 laptop. I'll need to fire up the Desktop to check that out farther. Any other sources or reccomendations? I'm going to use what I have for this project. I'd just like to make it plausible.
        > >
        > > Thank you folks!
        > >
        > > Valentine Lyme
        > >

        > > ------------------------------------

      • Master Rhys Terafan Greydragon
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 25 3:50 PM

          Geirfold,

          When I clicked the link, I got an error as well, but when I looked at what was in the URL bar of my browser, it had an extra parenthesis “)”  included at the end of the word “.html”       Once I deleted the ) character, it worked fine…

          Cheers,

          Terafan

          The link is not working. Do you know the name of the episode. Anything older that 2 years ago just has a name but no number.

          Thanks

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Vels inn Viggladi <velsthe1@...> wrote:

          > I don't think we have any extant or documentary examples of leather hinges on chests or boxes. True, leather doesn't survive well and may have been replaced with metal at any time.
          >
          > There is another solution if you don't want to shell out $25 for a pair of appropriate hinges.
          > Gimmal hinges are a simple hinge solution we do have extant evidence of, dating back to at least the 9th century (personal witness). Usually they were used for Dyptics and smaller boxes from that era onward.
          >
          > This episode of The Woodwright's Shop (http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/2700/2701.html ) shows how to install them.
          >
          > For an inexpensive method of getting gimmals, get four cotter pins from the local hardware store. Shouldn't be more than a two or three dollars for a package of 1/4" pins. Make sure you get them plenty long. I burn off the zinc coating with a torch (outdoors with ventilator, hot metal is hot, safety warnings, etc) and let them cool by air. Then it's a matter of slipping two together at the eyes (may require pliers). Install as per the video and drive on with a very forgiving hinge type.
          >

          > Vels
          >
          > > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
          > > From: wchasr@...
          > > Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 15:30:17 +0000
          > > Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Leather Hinges?
          > >
          > > I have a project to complete soon and I have all the materials I need for a basic 6 board (or something) chest. What I do NOT have is any hardware. I've got a few pieces of HEAVY leather that I won at a charity auction at an SCA event a while back. I was wondering if there is documentation of using leather as hinges/hasps on a chest of some sort? A VERY minimal online search turned up nothing specific. A link to an article on the Florigelium (sp?) but I cannot open it on my Windows 8 laptop. I'll need to fire up the Desktop to check that out farther. Any other sources or reccomendations? I'm going to use what I have for this project. I'd just like to make it plausible.
          > >
          > > Thank you folks!
          > >
          > > Valentine Lyme
          > >

          > > ------------------------------------

        • Geirfold
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 25 5:30 PM
            Thanks.

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Sir David Vavreck <baethan1630@...> wrote:

            > The link worked for me.
            >
            > The episode is Peter and the Box
            >

            > ________________________________

          • bsrlee
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 25 11:55 PM
              I can get you back to around the 3rd-4th centuries AD with this type of hinge, also known as 'snipe' hinges. All sorts of variations on this style of hinge, which is basically two rings intertwined at 90 degrees, including the Mastermyr chest where the rings were part of 2 rivetted on plates.

              I think that if you could afford a box with a hinged lid, then you could afford metal hinges. The only other type of lidded box I know of without hinges is the 'Mary Rose type 1' box, a basic 6 board box where the lid just rested on top and was nailed on for transport, rope handles optional.

              regards
              Brusi of Orkney

              On 26-Apr-13 2:25 AM, Vels inn Viggladi wrote:
              I don't think we have any extant or documentary examples of leather hinges on chests or boxes. True, leather doesn't survive well and may have been replaced with metal at any time.

              There is another solution if you don't want to shell out $25 for a pair of appropriate hinges.
              Gimmal hinges are a simple hinge solution we do have extant evidence of, dating back to at least the 9th century (personal witness). Usually they were used for Dyptics and smaller boxes from that era onward.

              This episode of The Woodwright's Shop (http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/2700/2701.html ) shows how to install them.

              For an inexpensive method of getting gimmals, get four cotter pins from the local hardware store. Shouldn't be more than a two or three dollars for a package of 1/4" pins. Make sure you get them plenty long. I burn off the zinc coating with a torch (outdoors with ventilator, hot metal is hot, safety warnings, etc) and let them cool by air. Then it's a matter of slipping two together at the eyes (may require pliers). Install as per the video and drive on with a very forgiving hinge type.

              Vels
              > Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Leather Hinges?
              >
              > I have a project to complete soon and I have all the materials I need for a basic 6 board (or something) chest. What I do NOT have is any hardware. I've got a few pieces of HEAVY leather that I won at a charity auction at an SCA event a while back. I was wondering if there is documentation of using leather as hinges/hasps on a chest of some sort? A VERY minimal online search turned up nothing specific. A link to an article on the Florigelium (sp?) but I cannot open it on my Windows 8 laptop. I'll need to fire up the Desktop to check that out farther. Any other sources or reccomendations? I'm going to use what I have for this project. I'd just like to make it plausible.
              >
              > Thank you folks!
              >
              > Valentine Lyme

            • Gene Eisele
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 26 8:10 AM
                >>Gimmal hinges are a simple hinge solution we do have extant evidence of,
                >>dating back to at least the 9th century (personal witness). Usually
                they were used for
                >>Dyptics and smaller boxes from that era onward.

                I've seen "Gimmal" or "Snipe" hinges on a lot of large, heavily carved southern German 16th century chests. Definitely not limited to small or inexpensive boxes.

                Friedrich Wilhelm

              • Vels inn Viggladi
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 26 8:52 AM
                  >>>Gimmal hinges are a simple hinge solution we do have extant evidence of,
                  >>>dating back to at least the 9th century (personal witness). Usually
                  they were used for
                  >>>Dyptics and smaller boxes from that era onward.
                  >
                  >I've
                  seen "Gimmal" or "Snipe" hinges on a lot of large, heavily carved southern German 16th century >chests. Definitely not limited to small or inexpensive boxes.

                  >Friedrich Wilhelm

                  Cool! I'd like to see those. Do you have a link or pictures you can share?
                  I've used them on chests, but haven't found any examples of them on extant pieces.

                  Vels

                • tessa_rat
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 28 10:08 AM
                    Vels,

                    I've made a folder in the photo's section. It's named Fitz Wilhelm's Photos. I just added a few pics there.

                    A caveat though. I didn't have a great camera and getting shots of the back of chest was particularly awkward since they are invariably put against a wall. So, these are overview shots and you re just going to have to take my word about the snipe hinges. At the time, I was struck by how many of the chests used that type of hinge (the great majority).

                    I'm working from memory, and some of these may not actually have used snipe hinges, but they are representative.

                    I think that it actually make sense on a large chest where a very precise fit won't really make much difference in operation, vs a small casket, or a cabinet door, where it would. (plenty of examples of these latter two types with very fancy hardware from the same period)

                    Also note, that all of these chests are roughly the same size (big). I am in one of the pics so you can get an idea of scale from that one. They were clearly semi-permanent pieces of furniture, not traveling suitcases.

                    Fritz