Re: [MedievalSawdust] Drafting program

  • Beth and Bob Matney
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
      I still use GenericCAD (DOS based) on an XP
      machine. I've tried many CAD packages (including
      Autocad), but still keep going back. Most of the
      time I just need a 2D drawing and not 3D.
      Unfortunately, DOS packages won't run on Windows7
      and above, so at some point I'll need to port to
      a Linux and see if I can get it to run on the DOS
      emulation there. There is (finally) a package
      that uses the GenericCAD commands and files, but
      it is quite expensive. I run it's trial version
      for viewing old drawings on the newer machines.
      For image processing, I use Photoshop.

      Beth Matney

      At 08:30 AM 4/24/2013, you wrote:

      >"doesn't go well with the way I think"
      >
      >That's the way with me for every CAD program
      >I've ever tried. Even though I work in IT, my
      >artistic side just won't mesh. I end up resorting to pencil and paper.
      >
      >Duncan Sinclair the Cordwanier (MKA: Chris Anderson)
      >KC9UVB
      >Barony of Sternfeld
      >Middle Kingdom
      >
      >Greenwood #514, F&AM

    • Justin Crouch
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
        "Unfortunately, DOS packages won't run on Windows7
        and above, so at some point I'll need to port to
        a Linux and see if I can get it to run on the DOS
        emulation there."

        Have you tried running it in DOS-box on 7?
        http://www.dosbox.com/

        I don't know if it would work for you or not, but that may be an option.

        LeO

        At 08:30 AM 4/24/2013, you wrote:

        >"doesn't go well with the way I think"
        >
        >That's the way with me for every CAD program
        >I've ever tried. Even though I work in IT, my
        >artistic side just won't mesh. I end up resorting to pencil and paper.
        >
        >Duncan Sinclair the Cordwanier (MKA: Chris Anderson)
        >KC9UVB
        >Barony of Sternfeld
        >Middle Kingdom
        >
        >Greenwood #514, F&AM

      • Justin Crouch
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
          ""doesn't go well with the way I think"

          That's the way with me for every CAD program I've ever tried. Even though I work in IT, my artistic side just won't mesh. I end up resorting to pencil and paper.

          Duncan Sinclair the Cordwanier (MKA: Chris Anderson)
          KC9UVB
          Barony of Sternfeld
          Middle Kingdom"

          Nods, I have a notebook and pencil, along with graph paper, for just this reasoning. For some reason my left-brain and right-brain don't like to talk. This makes me sad :(