Re: [MedievalSawdust] Drafting program

  • Fearghus Ó Conchobhair
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 23 6:22 PM

      Sketchup

      On Apr 23, 2013 7:24 PM, "Dan Baker" <LordRhys@...> wrote:

      I am looking for a free or low cost drafting program, should be very very very very simple to use.

      -Capten Rhys
    • Duncan Sinclair
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 24 6:30 AM
        "doesn't go well with the way I think"

        That's the way with me for every CAD program I've ever tried. Even though I work in IT, my artistic side just won't mesh. I end up resorting to pencil and paper.

        Duncan Sinclair the Cordwanier (MKA: Chris Anderson)
        KC9UVB
        Barony of Sternfeld
        Middle Kingdom

        Greenwood #514, F&AM

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 24 7:45 AM
          I still use GenericCAD (DOS based) on an XP
          machine. I've tried many CAD packages (including
          Autocad), but still keep going back. Most of the
          time I just need a 2D drawing and not 3D.
          Unfortunately, DOS packages won't run on Windows7
          and above, so at some point I'll need to port to
          a Linux and see if I can get it to run on the DOS
          emulation there. There is (finally) a package
          that uses the GenericCAD commands and files, but
          it is quite expensive. I run it's trial version
          for viewing old drawings on the newer machines.
          For image processing, I use Photoshop.

          Beth Matney

          At 08:30 AM 4/24/2013, you wrote:

          >"doesn't go well with the way I think"
          >
          >That's the way with me for every CAD program
          >I've ever tried. Even though I work in IT, my
          >artistic side just won't mesh. I end up resorting to pencil and paper.
          >
          >Duncan Sinclair the Cordwanier (MKA: Chris Anderson)
          >KC9UVB
          >Barony of Sternfeld
          >Middle Kingdom
          >
          >Greenwood #514, F&AM

        • Justin Crouch
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 24 7:52 AM
            "Unfortunately, DOS packages won't run on Windows7
            and above, so at some point I'll need to port to
            a Linux and see if I can get it to run on the DOS
            emulation there."

            Have you tried running it in DOS-box on 7?
            http://www.dosbox.com/

            I don't know if it would work for you or not, but that may be an option.

            LeO

            At 08:30 AM 4/24/2013, you wrote:

            >"doesn't go well with the way I think"
            >
            >That's the way with me for every CAD program
            >I've ever tried. Even though I work in IT, my
            >artistic side just won't mesh. I end up resorting to pencil and paper.
            >
            >Duncan Sinclair the Cordwanier (MKA: Chris Anderson)
            >KC9UVB
            >Barony of Sternfeld
            >Middle Kingdom
            >
            >Greenwood #514, F&AM

          • Justin Crouch
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 24 7:53 AM
              ""doesn't go well with the way I think"

              That's the way with me for every CAD program I've ever tried. Even though I work in IT, my artistic side just won't mesh. I end up resorting to pencil and paper.

              Duncan Sinclair the Cordwanier (MKA: Chris Anderson)
              KC9UVB
              Barony of Sternfeld
              Middle Kingdom"

              Nods, I have a notebook and pencil, along with graph paper, for just this reasoning. For some reason my left-brain and right-brain don't like to talk. This makes me sad :(