Re: [MedievalSawdust] Drafting program

  • Barekr Silfri
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013

      On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 8:46 PM, Gary 'Hal' Link <halraeburn@...> wrote:

      Yes Sketchup is the way to go, Trimble now owns it:http://www.sketchup.com/
      It is 3D so if you are not use to it just play with it. Taunton press has a couple of e-books that are good tutorials for using Sketchup for furniture design.
      Very good for non organic design, I'm doing all my Gothic designs on it now and can put the patterns into my CNC carving machine.

      In Service
      Hal

      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: LordRhys@...
      Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 18:24:16 -0500
      Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Drafting program

      I am looking for a free or low cost drafting program, should be very very very very simple to use.

      -Capten Rhys

    • Fearghus Ó Conchobhair
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013

        Sketchup

        On Apr 23, 2013 7:24 PM, "Dan Baker" <LordRhys@...> wrote:

        I am looking for a free or low cost drafting program, should be very very very very simple to use.

        -Capten Rhys
      • Duncan Sinclair
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
          "doesn't go well with the way I think"

          That's the way with me for every CAD program I've ever tried. Even though I work in IT, my artistic side just won't mesh. I end up resorting to pencil and paper.

          Duncan Sinclair the Cordwanier (MKA: Chris Anderson)
          KC9UVB
          Barony of Sternfeld
          Middle Kingdom

          Greenwood #514, F&AM

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
            I still use GenericCAD (DOS based) on an XP
            machine. I've tried many CAD packages (including
            Autocad), but still keep going back. Most of the
            time I just need a 2D drawing and not 3D.
            Unfortunately, DOS packages won't run on Windows7
            and above, so at some point I'll need to port to
            a Linux and see if I can get it to run on the DOS
            emulation there. There is (finally) a package
            that uses the GenericCAD commands and files, but
            it is quite expensive. I run it's trial version
            for viewing old drawings on the newer machines.
            For image processing, I use Photoshop.

            Beth Matney

            At 08:30 AM 4/24/2013, you wrote:

            >"doesn't go well with the way I think"
            >
            >That's the way with me for every CAD program
            >I've ever tried. Even though I work in IT, my
            >artistic side just won't mesh. I end up resorting to pencil and paper.
            >
            >Duncan Sinclair the Cordwanier (MKA: Chris Anderson)
            >KC9UVB
            >Barony of Sternfeld
            >Middle Kingdom
            >
            >Greenwood #514, F&AM

          • Justin Crouch
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
              "Unfortunately, DOS packages won't run on Windows7
              and above, so at some point I'll need to port to
              a Linux and see if I can get it to run on the DOS
              emulation there."

              Have you tried running it in DOS-box on 7?
              http://www.dosbox.com/

              I don't know if it would work for you or not, but that may be an option.

              LeO

              At 08:30 AM 4/24/2013, you wrote:

              >"doesn't go well with the way I think"
              >
              >That's the way with me for every CAD program
              >I've ever tried. Even though I work in IT, my
              >artistic side just won't mesh. I end up resorting to pencil and paper.
              >
              >Duncan Sinclair the Cordwanier (MKA: Chris Anderson)
              >KC9UVB
              >Barony of Sternfeld
              >Middle Kingdom
              >
              >Greenwood #514, F&AM

            • Justin Crouch
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
                ""doesn't go well with the way I think"

                That's the way with me for every CAD program I've ever tried. Even though I work in IT, my artistic side just won't mesh. I end up resorting to pencil and paper.

                Duncan Sinclair the Cordwanier (MKA: Chris Anderson)
                KC9UVB
                Barony of Sternfeld
                Middle Kingdom"

                Nods, I have a notebook and pencil, along with graph paper, for just this reasoning. For some reason my left-brain and right-brain don't like to talk. This makes me sad :(